Scotland....Yes or No

Chris James

I am not sure of all the ramifications of Scotland separating from England. In some ways it sounds silly to me but from what I gather it's all based on taxes...to the US that should be familiar. But at least we threw a small party in Boston harbor first.

Quebec is taking a hard look at this event and Canada should be worried. Of course Quebec would love to attach itself to France but we know that won't happen. They have been acting like a foreign nation for decades already.

Texas has made some noise about forming their own country, but then we fought a war over such idiotic ideas and Texas would last about 2 days in a fight with the US Government.

I just hope that Scotland really gets what it wants from all of this. They will have no currency, no EU membership, no military, just some of the finest distilleries in the world...yeah, I hope the Scotch whiskey survives.

In England, golf is often a sport for the pretentious as most is played at clubs with snooty rules. There are a few municipal courses but not many. In Scotland, although there are snooty clubs, it is seen as a game for everyone and the municipal courses are both much more numerous and widely used.

I am not sure of all the ramifications of Scotland separating from England. In some ways it sounds silly to me but from what I gather it's all based on taxes...to the US that should be familiar. But at least we threw a small party in Boston harbor first.

Actually Chris taxation is playing a minor role in the arguments over Scottish Independence, the main issue is one of National Identity. People are asking if it is possible to be British and Scottish. Some are saying it is, others that it is not. The other issue that has arisen is the question of social responsibility. The SNP and its supporters are taking a view that they want a much more welfare based society, such as found in Sweden, this is in contrast to the general trend of policy within the Westminster Government.

Most of us in the UK are hoping that Scotland votes NO, then we can use the promise of more devolution for Scotland to argue for devolution for the regions of England. Personally I would like each of the ancient kingdoms of England to have its own government.

I think the Union Jack - which is red, white and blue - would look a bit drab if the blue which denotes Scotland is removed.

Just spent an hour and a half watching the live election coverage. Dozed off!

A couple of Quebec secessionist referenda failed in Canada when residents came to their senses at the last minute. Hopefully the same will happen in Scotland.

Be careful what you wish for, lads and lasses!

The final result has just been announced giving an overall result with 55.3% voting NO. What is more interesting is that only 4 of the 32 electoral areas voted in favor,

I must say that from an emotional and constitutional point of view I am glad they have voted no. From a business perspective I regret it, I had a number of companies lined up who wanted technical assistance to move from Scotland to England (or anywhere else in the EU outside Scotland) in the event of a no vote. Could have done with the consultancy fees.

We are now going to see some major constitutional changes in the UK, it is going to be interesting times.

Latest news on the subject, Alex Salmond the First Minister of Scotland and Leader of the Scottish Nationalist Party has resigned from both posts.

Well at least we won't have to recall all our Aussie flags to change the Union Jack inset on the flag. So there's that to be thankful for.

Like Cole, I'm pleased that the vote went the way that it did. Now we just have to hope that any differences are resolved with goodwill for the concerns of all..

I don't know any details about this, but somehow am pleased Scotland is still part of England. Probably just my dislike of change, but it just seems right to me. It's been part of England all my life, and now will probably remain thus through my existence.

C

No Cole, Scotland is not part of and never has been part of England. That is the whole point, Scotland is a totally separate kingdom within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to use its full name. England is the annoying bit at the bottom and on the right hand side, To the left you have the big round bit sticking out of the side which is Wales, a principality in its own right, and the long bit sticking out at the bottom on the right is Cornwall, whose exact status is still under debate. Oh and the little dot at the bottom is the Isle of Wight, which is in a totally different time dimension, currently somewhere around the 1950s, which explains the high cost of the ferries going over to it, it is the most expensive sea crossing per mile in the world, but time travel has a lot of overheads.

Saying that Scotland is part of England is rather like saying that New Mexico is part of Texas, a comment which both sides find insulting.

No Cole, Scotland is not part of and never has been part of England. That is the whole point, Scotland is a totally separate kingdom within the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to use its full name. England is the annoying bit at the bottom and on the right hand side, To the left you have the big round bit sticking out of the side which is Wales, a principality in its own right, and the long bit sticking out at the bottom on the right is Cornwall, whose exact status is still under debate. Oh and the little dot at the bottom is the Isle of Wight, which is in a totally different time dimension, currently somewhere around the 1950s, which explains the high cost of the ferries going over to it, it is the most expensive sea crossing per mile in the world, but time travel has a lot of overheads.

Saying that Scotland is part of England is rather like saying that New Mexico is part of Texas, a comment which both sides find insulting.

I'm in no position to argue with you, Nigel, but -- we have 50 states, all with their own governments, not all contiguous, and somehow we manage to get along. There's strength in being part of the whole. You'd think, with a land a small as the UK, Wales, Scotland, England and Cornwall could come some sort of acceptance. It would be better for all of them.

The major problem in the Middle East is the tribal alliances rather than national ones. I find it hard to believe the UK is in the same boat.

Cornwall is part of England, but historically it was part of Wales. As such, there's some dispute as to whether it should be part of Wales as they go through the devolution in political structure that's currently occurring.

Cornwall? Last I looked it was part of England. Do you mean Northern Ireland?

No, I mean Cornwall, although part of England it did until the middle of the 18th century have certain autonomous rights, which were recognized by royal charters. Amongst those rights was the right to self-government and judicial oversight of its own affairs that did not affect life and limb by means of the Stannary Parliament and Courts. Henry the VII issued the Charter of Pardon in 1508 which stated that no new laws could be passed that affected the Cornish miners without the consent of the Stannary.

The Cornish Stannary Parliament last assembled in 1752 and finished in 1753 but it was never formally wound up or disbanded. The opinion has been stated in the UK Parliament in the 20th century that there is no longer a constitutional basis for the existence of the Cornish Stannary Parliament, but it must be noted that there is no legal or judicial ruling that states it does not have the right to form. Since the 1950s there has been increasing pressure from various parties in Cornwall to re-convene the Cornish Stannary Parliament.

Mebyon Kernow (The Party of Cornwall - strictly translates as The Sons of Cornwall) is pushing hard for a Cornish Assembly, its claim to such resting in part on the historic right of the Cornish to self-government through the Stannary Parliament.

Have a look at : https://www.mebyonkernow.org/news/article.php?id=170

Britain (I'm using that as short for The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) includes England Scotland Wales and as the name implies, Northern Ireland. It doesn't include the Channel Islands which are British but actually closer to France and have their own government and taxing powers, but does include the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man and others which count as part of the mainland. Cornwall where I've just been on holiday is part of England and therefore Britain but has its own identity and ancient language. If Scotland had voted for independence it would all have unravelled.

Actually Bruin the Isle of Man is not part of the United Kingdom being an independent sovereign domain of the Queen. As such it is only subject to its own laws made by its parliament the Tynwald and laws made by the UK parliament do not apply there. Incidentally the Isle of Man like the Channel Islands are not part of the European Union.