I met an author!

ricky

I had the great privallege of meeting Rick Beck this last Friday. I found out he lives just a couple hours northwest of me. We had a great conversation and I hope to do it again. Rick is a wealth of information. And the view from his nest atop the mountain he lives on was breathtaking.

And Rick, if you read this, thanks so much for the best cup of coffee I've had in years.

I got to thinking how rare it is for authors to meet each other. I mean we talk via emails all the time but having a cup of coffee with a person who is also an author is a really great experience.

So I wondered if any others out there have had the opportunity to meet other authors.

So, have you?

Guest Dabeagle

Eons ago I was part of a group held together by a webring (remember those?) and it was called the Gay Authors Guild. The fate of this group was probably sealed early on and I cite the example of the oft decried 'gay agenda'; more to the point that we all can't agree on anything for more than ten minutes (as a group, not simply here at AD) let alone an entire agenda. We did, however, have a very memorable meeting in the summer of 2001 in Montreal where I met many of the members.

I also met Nick Archer while on vacation and spent a night on his living room floor. It was a great, great experience and I still treasure it till this day. I have met a smattering of readers and last year I met Lugnutz. It's almost always a great experience to speak to other writers and the majority of my reader meetings was positive as well. I enjoy it a lot, more so even than the emails - there is nothing quite like real time talk over food or a drink and just getting into the nuts and bolts of a story.

I know a certain guy that loves to talk about why he made certain story decisions, except that few people ask him. No, I am not referring to myself (though I enjoy it as much as the next guy, I'm sure) and sitting down to him would be a fascinating experience. Well, for me it would be.

Also, Montreal has gay strip clubs. May I suggest a ...uh...green room meeting in Montreal? Pride week next year? All in favor?

I haven't had the opportunity to meet any of the AD authors yet, but there is an open invitation for anyone passing through Salt Lake City. There are a number of authors I have wanted to meet over the years, and I've met a few of those that I read off of the web. Some, like Brandon Sanderson(Who I know is not always all that popular here) I have met several times. I've enjoyed all of these experiences, and I think meeting people who see the world as writers do is almost always a fulfilling experience, especially when you get to share not only ideas, but an understanding of the story behind an author.

So, this goes for readers as well, but next time you're in Salt Lake City, drop me an email and I'll gladly meet up with you.

I haven't had the opportunity to meet any of the AD authors yet, but there is an open invitation for anyone passing through Salt Lake City. There are a number of authors I have wanted to meet over the years, and I've met a few of those that I read off of the web. Some, like Brandon Sanderson(Who I know is not always all that popular here) I have met several times. I've enjoyed all of these experiences, and I think meeting people who see the world as writers do is almost always a fulfilling experience, especially when you get to share not only ideas, but an understanding of the story behind an author.

So, this goes for readers as well, but next time you're in Salt Lake City, drop me an email and I'll gladly meet up with you.

I am puzzled about the comment that Brandon Sanderson is not "all that popular here." First of all, I don't recognize the name so I'm at a loss but I don't ever remember reading anything negative about him in the AD Forums.

Please email me and let me know what this refers to.

Mike

I have met personally the current or past AwesomeDude authors;

• Sequoyah
  • Jack Scribe
  • Tragic Rabbit
  • Pecman

I would personally love to have a 'meet and greet' with as many of our AD Authors as possible. Unfortunately, Pride 2015 in Montreal would be a bit tough for me as personal finances don't allow me to wander that far... not to mention the difficulty of getting a place to stay during that hectic period. The cool climate would sure be nice, though, compared to the triple digits we experience in the California desert in June.

Mike

It's a surprise to me, but I've met two AD authors. The surprise is because I'm a very private person and I never thought that would happen. I won't name them because neither has said I can, and I respect their privacy as they respect mine. But I met them; they were both very congenial and fun to be with. I met one of them more than once.

C

I don't plan on meeting any more authors. Over the past few years I've met three authors, Jamie, Deweywriter, and Myr. Two of those three have become MIA.

You make it sound like you blame yourself for them going astray. Or do you mean the heartache is too much to take?

As I posted in another location in these forums, I tried to visit Jack Scribe, but serious medical issues for me intervened and obviously even more serious issues for Jack did the same, as he passed away before we could meet. I know that Jack managed to visit Ruwen, in Berlin, on one of his adventurous vacations.

I'd love to visit with various authors and since I like to drive a lot, that may yet happen. Heck, I've geocached all the way to Colorado looking for camo boxes and log books; I think live writers would be oodles more fun.