The Right Genes by Nigel Gordon

Rutabaga

Nigel has created a future that is both a logical development from our present and radically different. It's fascinating to see him make a change to the way people live and then follow through with logical consequences.

Regarding the reference to the rabbit book and its view on the role of the homosexual in society, you may be interested to return to Rabbi Simchah Roth's responsum on the subject to see how much the rabbits agree with mdoern Jewish thinking...

http://www.bmv.org.il/ab/dd.asp

I enjoyed this story immensely, it is both well written and totally credible. Nigel has packed into a short story what others might have been inclined to stretch into a novel. Well done him. It's the ideas he creates and the way the reader responds that are important here, not the length of the work.

I enjoyed it, but I would've preferred it to be longer. As it is, the lecturing was most of the story. An interesting speculation (and it agrees with all the research that I'm aware of), but I would've liked the story part to be a bigger portion.

Having said that, Nigel definitely mixed the lecturing into the story so it wasn't dry. :smile:

What I would like to see is a story set in this universe. The story of the guys as they leave school and start training to be space pilots. The problems they encounter in their chosen career, and the challenges from the bigotry that still exists. I think this could be expanded into a novel -- there's certainly the material there to do so!

I always thought the right jeans were 501's. :cat:

That's what I thought, I have two pair left in my bottom drawer... unfortunately they are 28-inch waists. That's why they're still there after all these years!

I had to Google "bell bottoms" to find out what you were talking about. Too weird. Makes me glad that I wasn't born until long after they were an affectation.

Colin :icon_geek:

Bell-bottomed trousers were worn by US Navy sailors since at least 1813, and although the rough denim work uniform is no longer bell-bottomed, the current dress blue uniform for enlisted male personnel retains the flared bottom (along with the bibbed blouse and neckerchief). This uniform is affectionately known as the "Crackerjack" outfit, after the well-known delicacy with the prize inside. Google that, Colin. Here is one military outfitter's description:

The traditional US Navy Jumpers are made with 100% heavy wool with flared legs.

The front features a 13 buttons broadfall panel, in additional to the waistline fastening button. The buttons used are the traditional 25 Line US Navy black with anchors. Contrary to all other military dress pants, these pants do not feature any zippers.

On the back side, a series of rounded eyelets (called gussets) are fastened together with a lace. There are two front pockets with openings along the waistband, right behind the broadfall, and another pocket in the back right side of the wearer.

The pants are worn with the matching jumpers top, as part the Enlisted Dress Blue Uniform.

These pants need to be hemmed so that when worn, they are hanging exactly 2 inches from the floor, on the back side.

Waist Size

shelp.png

Length
Price

$199.99

Quantity
  • miniature-u-us-navy-dress-blue-jumper-tr

I was always given to understand the naval bell bottoms were that shape so that they would roll up easily. But on reflection rolling probably wouldn't work and they were probably to 'hitch up' . So that they would stay dry if you had to paddle about in shallow water for whatever reason.

I vaguely remember a biographical snippet where the subject bemoans the introduction of zippers to regular naval uniform trousers. He considered the buttoned drawfall described in Merkin's extract so much more fun! I think the author was Quentin Crisp in the Naked Civil Servant, but I am not sure.

I vaguely remember a biographical snippet where the subject bemoans the introduction of zippers to regular naval uniform trousers. He considered the buttoned drawfall described in Merkin's extract so much more fun! I think the author was Quentin Crisp in the Naked Civil Servant, but I am not sure.

I am so glad the zipper was invented! When I was around ten my mom bought me a pair of jeans with a button fly. She said she didn't notice. I said I hated them and wouldn't wear them after trying them on. She took them back to the store and exchanged them for a pair with a zipper fly.

Colin :icon_geek: