Aussie change of the guard

Chris James

As a member of the original Liberal Party here in the UK, I find it very strange and somewhat confusing that a party that calls itself Liberal can be conservative and right wing.

As a member of the original Liberal Party here in the UK, I find it very strange and somewhat confusing that a party that calls itself Liberal can be conservative and right wing.

It dates back to the founder of the Aussie Liberal Party, Robert Menzies, who set the conservative direction of the party for more years than it should have. They usually have to form a coalition in order to govern, with the more extreme right wing, National Party (Country). The Liberals are all about small government and conservative values, hiding behind claims of individuality, much like the American Republicans. Needless to say they are not the friends of workers or unions.

The Liberal term is much abused in as much as it represents Menzies' rule of fear that communism would take over if the Liberals were defeated at the polls. As a result we have a very conservative attitude in our parliament from all but the most progressive members when they dare to speak out.

In this regard "liberal" means exactly the opposite to the actual definition of the word, and is merely a substitute for Tory.

• 7 months later...

Here in Aus, we are facing a federal government election. The replacement for the above mentioned village idiot (Tony Abbott) is another from the same village called Malcolm Turnbull. I have a suspicion that it is a whole village of idiots.

Anyway, the requirements have been met for the election to be a double dissolution, to be chosen by the Prime Minister (Turnbull).

Both houses of parliament would be dissolved by the Governor General under advice from the Prime Minister. This would mean all the seats in both House of Representatives and the senate would be vacant and thus subject to the election.

The main parties are the Labor Party, The LNP (Liberal and National Party) and the Greens. Several smaller parties and Independents can be expected to take part.

Unlike the long protracted election system of the U,S.A. We will probably have only a few weeks of campaigning and this helps us stopping the clowns from finding where the clown car was parked after the last election.

Sadly, if the LNP wins the election we will, in my opinion, have a rightwing government intent on dismantling our health and welfare system, whilst simultaneously increasing tax benefits for the already too rich. The poor will be seriously disadvantage if that happens.

Thanks Des. Does Labor stand a chance? The electorate in the U.S. would give anything for your short campaign season. Unfortunately our astronomical television and news organization revenues alone seem to make that impossible.

Des, you must have more than a "suspicion" about the village. The current LNP government has to be the most incompetent and dangerous we've ever had.

Merkin, the latest opinion polls are showing Labor running almost neck-and-neck with the Liberal Party/National Party coalition, so they may have a chance. The Labor party has been making up ground and is looking pretty good for a change. I'd certainly love to be rid of the present government.

The standard of political debate in Australia has been woeful since Tony Abbott was elected leader of the Liberals. They were in opposition then, and he became known as "Dr No" because he opposed everything the Labor government did, just for the sake of opposing it. No matter whether it was a good policy or that the country needed it - he simply opposed it (a little like the Republicans during Obama's term as president). When the LNP coalition won the 2013 election and he became prime minister he still acted like he was opposition leader. As prime minister he was a disaster. Sadly things haven't changed much since Malcolm Turnbull took over as prime minister - the government is just as incompetent, and the standard of debate is still very low.

If it is disasters:you are watching for, then think on this

Prime Minister Turnbull could be returned to office with a majority and later this year, the American people, not wanting to be outdone by the Aussies, elect Trump as their president.

Doug and I would be moving to Vancouver, Canada.

Colin :icon_geek:

Just hope there is enough space for you. So many of my American friends are saying they are moving to Canada if Trump gets elected I fear the place might be a bit overcrowded.

I prefer the climate in New Zealand.

That's an option as well. A bit far to visit relatives and friends in California, though.

True that!

Doug just made an interesting comment. If The Donald is so pissed about the way the Republican nominating process is set up, just think how delighted he'll be with the Presidential election process with the Electoral College determining who wins! See https://www.usa.gov/election for a summary and the details. We'll have a new example for the crude but popular term, "He'll have a shit-hemorrhage!"

Don't stop packing, Colin. If the Electoral College fails to obtain a simple majority (270 votes) to elect a president, the election goes to the House of Representatives. Our current House, with its Republican majority, will I suppose do anything to prevent Hillary Clinton from becoming president...

True that!

Doug just made an interesting comment. If The Donald is so pissed about the way the Republican nominating process is set up, just think how delighted he'll be with the Presidential election process with the Electoral College determining who wins! See https://www.usa.gov/election for a summary and the details. We'll have a new example for the crude but popular term, "He'll have a shit-hemorrhage!"

I'm not worried. It's The Donald who's going to be mightily pissed if the results of the votes don't match the Electoral College counts and he thinks he got screwed. Hopefully it won't come to that.