Autism attack

I have just received this post, and for those of you who don't realize why I'm upset, I see it as no different from an attack on sexual orientation, blaming us and telling us to just 'get over it', and that we are just 'bad people'. People in responsible positions really shouldn't be allowed to just spout off BS without some consequence, particularly when there is plenty of evidence they could study to clarify things.

The worst thing about this is that the results could well be CHILDREN being abused for something they cannot help. It's bad enough when peers attack you, but this could result in parents attacking their handicapped kids. I can't see any possible benefit to these statements, other than increasing his listener base, but the down sides are considerable.

Disturbing news: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/22/business...amp;oref=slogin

Several autism advocates, organizations, etc. are calling for Talk Radio to fire Michael Savage. I encourage you to contact:

Talk Radio Network

P.O. Box 3755

Central Point, Oregon 97502

Phone: 541-664-8827

Fax: 541-664-6250

In terms of autism advocacy, this is a huge step back. I encourage to write NOW and/or call one of the Talk Radio's funders/advertisers below (or all of them!) and politely ask them to pull their advertising:

ABC: 212.456.7777

Acura: 800.382.2238

American Express: 212.640.5130

Ancestry.com (They are owned by the Generations Network): 801-705-7000

Boca Java: 888-262-2528

Bosch: 248-876-1000

Campbells: 800-257-8443 (ask for corporate)

Citrix: 954-267-3000

Consolidated Resources: (410) 349-8158

Direct Buy: 219.736.1100

Dish Network: 303.723.1000

Ebay (though it?s Ebay Motors that advertises): 408.376.740

Efax: 800.817.2348

General Motors: 313.556.5000

Gallo Wines: 877-687-9463

Hoover: 330.499.9200

Legal Zoom: (800) 773-0888

Outback Steakhouse (owned by OSI Restaurant Partners): 813.282.1225

Prudential: 732.297.7007

Purina One: 314.982.1000

Simon & Schuster: 212.698.2344

Staples: 508.253.5000

Subway: 203.877.4281

OR sign a petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/fire-mich...raudquot-savage

I know that Michael Savage has every privelage to free speech. Emphasis on the privelage: he has no right to say things that has the potential of knocking autism advocacy back another 40 years.

Where do these people come from? How do they sleep at night? Obviously cocooned in a web of the their own lies about how important their opinion is to mankind.

By his own implied definition Savage is autistic as he appears to have a severe learning disability. He is the one being a spoiled brat. If anyone needs to get over it he does.

Quote of Catherine Lord, an expert on autism from the article:

?Any tendency to blame the children or to think they?re just being bratty if they misbehave perpetuates the myth that autism isn?t a learning disability,? she said. ?It?s a neurobiological condition, just like epilepsy or another medical condition like diabetes or a heart condition. It would be like blaming the child with a heart condition for not being able to exercise.?

I can vouch that my teachers did indeed treat me as a sub-human because of my congenital heart condition. The fact that I was a cute young orangutan with bonobos tendencies completely slipped their notice. :hehe:

No wonder I don't listen to talk back radio. :icon11:

Michael Savage is one of these off-the-edge right wing whackos who says things to get attention. The wilder the statement, the more attention he gets and so the better he feels.

I think picking on children and their already stressed parents would be about as low as someone could get. But these guys don't disseminate truth, they disseminate any and everything to get noticed. That's what rings their chimes.

If he has this program to deal with what he said, and then at the end says, "Well, I'm convinced by the callers. I was wrong in what I said." he'll be showing how enlightened and fair-minded he is. I hope he isn't allowed to get away with it.

C

The danger of spreading ignorance like this is that some small minority will believe it and you're going to have some battered autistic children out there.

I really hope karma works as advertised but I doubt it. If it landed on Savage in proportion to the evil that he's done, there would be nothing left of him.

Michael Savage (real name: Michael Weiner) is a typical publicity-seeking muck-generating hate-mongering far-right-wing simpleton. Unfortunately, he gets space in the press and on TV which is his objective. His program, The Savage Nation, is the third most listened to radio talk show behind Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Colin :icon11:

I agree 100% with Cole above. Savage is a low-rent conservative version of Howard Stern, and he just says outrageous stuff without thinking, just to get publicity.

In this case, he may have gotten too much publicity. I wonder if this has put him in the "Don Imus/Nappy Headed Ho" category...

Just adding in one of my favored orgs (Media Matters, though as Trab suggests, my ebox is full of orgs protesting this stance) for positive change and their info, links and directions on how and where to complain about Michael Savage's remarks:

July 23, 2008

Dear Friend,

Since our last email, the pressure on Michael Savage has intensified as media coverage has grown, along with protests by concerned parents of autistic children, statements from members of Congress, and calls from concerned citizens to stations around the country that carry his radio show, The Savage Nation. As a result, Savage's show has been dropped from the seven-station SuperTalk Mississippi radio network, and the insurance company AFLAC announced it will no longer sponsor Savage's program.

How has Savage responded? By stating, " I stand by my words."

If you haven't done so already, please call the station in your community that carries The Savage Nation and tell it what you think about Michael Savage's incendiary and hurtful comments about autistic children. Click here to find your local station, log into our calling tool, and let us know how your call went. Savage didn't stop there; instead of apologizing to the millions of children and their families living with autism, he falsely recast his controversial comments to claim that they had been taken out of context and by lashing out at Media Matters for America.

Media Matters National Press Secretary J. Jioni Palmer said it best:

"Savage can try to obfuscate matters all he wants, but the fact remains -- his words are his words, and they were clearly directed at children with autism. Instead of trying to shift blame, he ought to do what's right and apologize to the millions of autistic children, their families, and others he insulted."

The actions you have taken have been successful, but there is still a long way to go. Talk Radio Network, which syndicates The Savage Nation, claims that Savage is heard on more than 350 radio stations. The program reaches at least 8.25 million listeners each week, making it one of the most listened-to talk radio shows in the nation, behind only The Rush Limbaugh Show and The Sean Hannity Show, according to Talkers Magazine.

We need your help to continue the great success we have achieved so far. Click here to find your local station, log into our calling tool, and let us know how your call went.

If you have already called your local station, spread the word -- send a message to your friends and family asking them to take this important action. Thank you so much for your continued action on this important issue,

hofteig_signature.jpg

Erin Hofteig

Director, New Media

Media Matters for America

PS - You can find an archive with information, news coverage, press releases from Autism organizations, and statements from members of Congress and other politicians, as well as quotes from a variety of people involved, by clicking here.

http://mediamatters.org/donate?src=savage-0723-7http://mediamatters.org/action_center/sava...c=savage-0723-8? 2008 Media Matters for America

1625 Massachusetts Ave, NW, Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20036

Michael Savage (real name: Michael Weiner) is a typical publicity-seeking muck-generating hate-mongering far-right-wing simpleton.

He may be wrong, but he's not an idiot.

From Wici:

Education

B.A., education and sociology

M.S., medical botany and medical anthropology

Ph.D., nutritional ethnomedicine

Author

Books as Michael Weiner

* Plant a Tree, New York: Collier Books, 1975, ISBN 0471571040

* Bugs in Peanut Butter, Boston: Little, Brown, 1976, ISBN 0316928607

* Man's Useful Plants, New York: Macmillan. 1976, ISBN 0027926001

* The Taster's Guide to Beer: Brews and Breweries of the World, Macmillan, 1977, ISBN 0026256002

* Earth Medicine, Earth Food, New York: Macmillan Pub. Co., 1980, ISBN 002625610X

* The Way of the Skeptical Nutritionist, New York: Macmillan, 1981, ISBN 0026256207

* The Art of Feeding Children Well (with Kathleen Goss), Warner Books, 1982, ISBN 0446978906

* Nutrition Against Aging, Bantam books, 1983, ISBN 0553236423

* Secrets of Fijian Medicine, Quantum Books, 1983, ISBN 0912845023

* Vital Signs, San Diego: Avant Books, 1983, ISBN 0932238203

* Getting Off Cocaine, Avon Books, February, 1984, ISBN 0380679000

* Dr. Weiner's High Fiber Counter, Pinnacle Books, May, 1984, ISBN 0523422113

* Maximum Immunity, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1986, ISBN 0395379105

* Reducing the Risk of Alzheimer's, New York: Stein and Day, 1987, re-published under the name Michael Savage, Ph.D., in 2007, ISBN 0946551537

* The Complete Book of Homeopathy, Garden City Park, N.Y.: Avery Pub., 1989, ISBN 0895294125

* The Herbal Bible, San Rafael, CA: Quantum Books, 1992, ISBN 0912845066

* Healing Children Naturally, San Rafael, CA: Quantum Books, 1993, re-published under the name Michael Savage, Ph.D., in 2007, ISBN 0912845104

* Herbs That Heal: Prescription for Herbal Healing, Mill Valley, CA: Quantum Books, 1994, ISBN 0912845112

* The Antioxidant Cookbook, Mill Valley, CA: Quantum Books, 1995, ISBN 0912845139

Books as Michael Savage

* The Death of the White Male, Mill Valley, CA: Quantum Books, 1991, ISBN 0-9128-4508-2

* The Savage Nation, Nashville: WND Books, 2002, ISBN 0-7852-6353-5

* The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on our Schools, Faith, and Military, Nashville: Nelson Current, 2003, ISBN 0-7852-6102-8

* Liberalism Is a Mental Disorder, Nashville: Nelson Current, 2005, ISBN 1-59555-006-2

* The Political Zoo, Nashville: Nelson Current, 2006, ISBN 1-59555-042-9

It dismays me that someone who can list his education as :

B.A., education and sociology

M.S., medical botany and medical anthropology

Ph.D., nutritional ethnomedicine

can have missed out on realising the meaning and relevance of human compassion.

How he can have studied scientific based disciplines and only learn to apply the scientific method for his own advantage, escapes me. To me that is a disrespect to every honest thinker.

What sort of man does that and remains as he claims, to be true unto himself?

Neither does he appear to use his intellect, (such as it is) to do anything else, other than conjure up controversy to grandstand his own biases for personal profit and egotism.

Michael seems typical of the egoist mindset that jumps out of the bed in the morning and rightly asks, "What can I do?", but wrongly, forgets to add, "to make the world a better place."

He certainly does not appear to me to moderate his actions with the prime directive, "First do no harm."

He is dangerous because he gives the impression of considered opinion.

In my opinion he belongs to the megalomaniac muckrakers for money brigade.

Normally, I would argue against people calling for Michael Savage's dismissal, but I actually heard about a 1-minute clip of his entire rant about autistic children. There's no question to me what he said was unbelievably mean-spirited and obnoxious, totally designed to outrage people and get publicity.

A good friend of mine has a slightly-autistic son (about 14 now), who has a bad habit of bumping his head into the wall, over and over again. You can have a conversation with the kid, and he's not stupid or slow, but he definitely has some tough medical issues. It's inconceivable that -- as Savage claims -- a kid like this simply needs more discipline and is faking it, as the talkshow host implies.

I have to agree: people who spread intolerance and ignorant opinions like this, especially done in such a mean-spirited way, don't deserve an ounce of pity. I think he should be fired, and kicked in the ass on the way out the door.

Michael Savage (real name: Michael Weiner) is a typical publicity-seeking muck-generating hate-mongering far-right-wing simpleton.

He may be wrong, but he's not an idiot.

Having a degree, even multiple degrees, even a PhD., doesn't mean a person can't also be a simpleton. Simpletons can be authors. Simpletons can be university professors. Simpletons can be members of congress, and governors, and corporate executives. Simpletons can be even be heads of governments. And simpletons can be radio talk-show hosts.

Colin :icon11:

Guest Fritz

I would have to agree that Savage is not an idiot (using the actual definition of idiot), but instead think he is an incredibly hate filled person who cares nothing about how much he hurts people or how accurate his statements are. What I cannot understand is why so many people listen to him. Some years back I made it through about a half hour of his program on a couple of occasions and came to the conclusion that he fits right in with people like Fred Phelps and his ilk. As I told a friend of mine when he asked if I knew who Savage was or had ever heard him, if Michael Savage was injured and I could save him, and he offered me millions of dollars to do so, I would die a poor man. While I would never do anything to injure him, I will never do anything to help him. People like Savage and Phelps deserve the contempt of all fair minded people.

Fritz, you posed the question about why people listen to him. Well, I have a theory. It is really quite simple. Most people nowadays feel very much alone. They feel disenfranchised and helpless in a world that seems out of control, living lives that seem out of control. Then someone offers them a way of feeling powerful, even if just for a moment. Their child is not autistic, so they must be good parents. Same thing for if their child might be gay, not having graduated from high school, whatever.

The ability to identify with something 'okay' or some group which is superior gives them that momentary illusion and hope that they are not really at the bottom end of things. Sadly, this is at the heart of bullying, knocking down others to feel better about oneself. To listen to this bully, and I truly feel his actions are bullying, is to feel elevated by beating down on others. It's a false way to feel good for those people, but the sheer numbers who join in indicates that we are in serious trouble as a society.

I want to add to this: a friend of mine and his wife have a HIGHLY autistic son. HE won't talk to hardly anyone (though after 8 years he will talk to me) and when he does you can only discuss dinosaurs. NOTHING else. He's got so many issues I can't count. He ain't faking and it's not their fault. To blame someone for this is inexcusable.

My understanding of autism is it is an imprecise label on the order of the word cancer: it covers a large swath of territory, and is complicated by degree and precise condition. But there is no question at all that it is a condition, and, much like being gay, not something that is brought on through environment or elected as a response to the world.

Who in the world would choose to be autistic?

I don't believe for a minute that Savage believes what he said. He screams invective and nonsense just to be noticed. The cruelty of what he says, he ignores.

Such people do exist among us.

C

I signed the petition but that's the only petition on that site that I support.

I'm afraid that site is such a shill for ultra-left politics that anything that comes from it will be summarily dismissed.

Guest Fritz

Trab, I've considered a similar theory before and you may very well be right. In my thinking it was more a feeling of acceptance rather than power, but other than that our thoughts closely paralleled each other. My problem with such theories is that I don't know psychology enough to have any idea if such a theory is in the realm of possibility and so I am left with nothing more than idle speculation. I think you may be closer to the truth than I was when you ascribe it to feeling of power, but as I said I don't know enough to say with any certainty.

Cole, I agree that Savage knows exactly what he is saying and does not believe it, but uses it as a means to attract attention. He is not alone in using such tactics as a way to attract a following and make money. I could name a number of people on talk radio and television who do the same thing to a greater or lesser degree--mostly lesser, but there are some others who approach Savage's viciousness. As I said before, I've only heard him a couple of times, but those times caused me to do a little research on him which confirmed my opinion of him.

As I told a friend of mine when he asked if I knew who Savage was or had ever heard him, if Michael Savage was injured and I could save him, and he offered me millions of dollars to do so, I would die a poor man.

I believe there's an old Southern expression that's more apt:

"I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire."

There are too many labels that are meaningless. When I was at school I was sent to a raft of psychologists because my teachers and parents couldn't understand my attitude. I wasn't thick, I wouldn't work, and I was disruptive. Now I'd have been labelled as ADHD, but that label didn't exist in 70's.

We seem to want to label everything in sight, and if there isn't a handy label, one will magically appear. In my view we are all living our lives as best we can, and to be labelled isn't the least bit helpful - and in some cases it can be highly detrimental as it gives us a handy excuse to hide behind.