Roll Laptop

Camy

C'mon! It's a CGI simulation. This is a concept for a product, not a real thing you can actually buy. There are no roll-up flat screens... yet.

BTW, James, that's the best line I've heard in awhile -- I might just steal it for my ongoing novel Pieces of Destiny, if you don't mind.

More of a roll-up tablet than a roll-up laptop, the difference being the lack of a true keyboard.

I can manage to type on touchscreen keyboards. I've gotten reasonably proficient on my phone and android tablet. But, neither is nearly as efficient or satisfying (not to mention even close to as fast or accurate) as typing on a real keyboard with real keys I can feel under my fingers. I couldn't imagine trying to do any real writing on anything like that.

When I got that fancy iPad2 (I love it, you'll have to pry it from my...) -- As I was saying, when I got the thing, I got the "smart cover," which snaps on with magnets and lets you fold up the cover. Fine idea, but that cover always slips.

I'm not sure a rollup laptop would do better. I'm sure the screen would have to avoid visual artifacts (lines) so it would be usable.

A rollup laptop (or tablet) is probably doable, but there are inherent design problems they'd have to overcome.

Besides which, my forebrain was trying to make jokes about needing sandwich ingredients, while my hindbrain was snickering about floppy and hard computer parts again. Only it's worse when the thing rolls up to a cylindrical shape. No, I think my brain must be regressing.

Ahem, back on a more adult track -- A few years ago now, I saw some futuristic keyboard idea that claimed they would project an image of a keyboard or other controls onto a surface, and a sensor would read where you typed or tapped, to figure this out. It seemed workable, other than that you'd have an image of continuously projected light onto that surface, which seems energy costly. But I never saw an implementation.

There were predictions of rollable, scrollable computer devices even back in the 80's and 90's. (The idea was used in an old scifi series called Earth: Final Conflict, which I mostly missed.)

But -- Any idea that's workable is likely to get tested at least in prototypes to see if it's usable and useful and producible.

I'd love to quit lugging around a laptop and accessories when I have to. (I like the iPad2, but it's not suited for a few things either.)

We've got a ways to go before reaching the perfect personal computer, that's for sure. But I want one, and with decent software and power supply too!

My granddad has a great saying: "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

Another one is "The one with the most toys when he dies, wins."

Colin :icon_geek:

"The one with the most toys when he dies, wins." from Colinian,

I know that you don't believe that.

I'm not so sure about that, Richard. The more I think about it... :control: :icon13:

Colin :icon_geek:

The price of their toys? Hmm, I usually hear that one as, the size of their toys.

However, I would agree, size doesn't matter. Size isn't what makes a man a man or a boy a boy. Just because a boy's toys get bigger when he becomes a man, doesn't mean his toys or their size is what makes him a man. Some boys are more men than some men are boys. That being said, I'd say the price of a boy's or a man's toys, or how many of 'em he has, has even less to do with his manliness or boyishness. I'm sure that all makes good sense somehow. (And no, I'm not only being silly and rambling, I'm serious there and I do have a point.) (Also not fussing at anyone, only saying something I think might be worth saying.)

As much as I wish I could ignore how much money rules things, life keeps hitting me over the head with the gold bars. Yet I've also seen how sometimes, no amount of money means one damn thing.

Whew, philosophy and bling aside, I really could use a cell phone and computer that don't eat batteries like candy. Now that I haven't been keeping my cell phone on me at all times unless I'm asleep or in the shower, I have twice let the stupid thing drain down to zero battery power in about three days each without putting it on the charger. Dang thing is using battery power even when idling. Ditto the iPad2. And the laptop doesn't retain a charge, it thinks, even when shut down entirely, over the course of around two or three weeks. -- I'd really love that even more than a rollup laptop. But keep going on the rollup laptop. Thinner, lighter, and more portable are all good.

Where are the flying cars; my mom promised me there would be flying cars?

Actually the ultimate in all this will be the bio-electrode fitted to your brain cell at birth that will let you access the Omni-Net directly in your mind without any other peripheral devices. Every thought everyone has will be accessible to everybody else, and our thoughts will be known by the whole human race. This will happen shortly before we get detained indefinitely by the thought police. No Evidence? No Trial? Oh they can do that now without any need for the bio-electrode? Isn't that wonderful. /sarcasm? Yes, I hope so.

(Back on topic)

This video is so cool! From the opening frames it grabs your attention, so neat, the way it moves, swinging slightly, the curves, the beautiful sexy shape. ... And from then on it goes downhill as it gets bogged down investigating the thoroughly uninteresting computer-thing slung over the guy's shoulder. I'm screaming at the screen: "Where's the guy with the beautiful arse? I wanna see him again!" :icon6:

(Back on topic)

"Where's the guy with the beautiful arse? I wanna see him again!" :icon6:

Yes Bruin I found myself studying the contours of those load bearing mounds of joy.

As for the guy who used to hand out awards, he hasn't had time to read much lately...or write stories either. Hopefully that will change soon.

Anyone wanting an award for generosity can get one by sendiing me a bank draft for $10,000 australian currency. - Thank you! :icon12:

Yes Bruin I found myself studying the contours of those load bearing mounds of joy.

As for the guy who used to hand out awards, he hasn't had time to read much lately...or write stories either. Hopefully that will change soon.

Anyone wanting an award for generosity can get one by sendiing me a bank draft for $10,000 australian currency. - Thank you! :icon12:

I was just about to do that when I realized I had no way of knowing the correct conversion factor and since you were very specific about what currency it was going to come in, I simply said screw it.

But it's the thought that counts, right? Right?

C

Say, I wouldn't mind a monetary award. Maybe even one on a regular, continuing basis. I think they call them "paychecks." (Well, or "paycheques.")

As to that neural interface chip? I suppose it'd have one benefit: If you could share someone's thoughts, you'd know if he's gay and likes you. Also, the hot cyber-*** would be.... Yeah, there's just one tiny flaw. Nobody would get anything else done!

Can't take you guys anywhere!

Except...well yeah, my subconscious kicked in on the whole floppy/hard cylindrical issue, and the guy was nice looking!

Guess I'm busted too. Can't take us anyplace. Gosh!