Student suspended and arrested for writing English assignment about killing a dinosaur. With a gun.

Obviously the news report was missing a lot of information. It's like they were trying to incite wrath in the readers rather than tell the whole story. Was the boy really disruptive? In what way and at what time? Or was this something the school and police decided to invent to absolve their own behavior?

Like in: "We need to say and do something here so we don't look like idiots. Hey, I know. Let's say the boy was disruptive and that's why we had to arrest and suspend him! Because we never got his mother involved, we were the only ones in the office with him; we can say anything we want about what happened in there!"

Was he really disruptive? And was it after they told him they were violating his rights, or while they were doing so? Or before. These are all things the news report should have covered so we'd know how to feel about all this. Had the students ever been told that they must never speak about or write about or pretend to have guns, like extending a pointer finger and raising a thumb? Or was this all post-essay-assignment rule-making?

We need more information.

C

In High School, I rewrote Tennyson's poem The Lady of Shallot as a blood filled horror story and retitled it as The Morgue of Clot. I got told by the teacher that it was very funny, but to keep it for my own amusement.

It seems to me that the school has misplaced any sense of humour or youthful understanding that they may once have had. Dinosaurs? Really?

There is something seriously wrong here but I am not sure if it is with the student, the police or the school, probably it is the whole lot.

One thing we do know: if we are ever to visit that town, do NOT shoot any dragons!

C

Shooting dragons is allowed in Summerville, South Carolina. Apparently it's shooting dinosaurs, or even writing about shooting them, that's verboten.

Colin :icon_geek:

Shooting dragons is allowed in Summerville, South Carolina. Apparently it's shooting dinosaurs, or even writing about shooting them, that's verboten.

Colin :icon_geek:

Actually I think the problem is in mentioning dinosaurs, the locals do not want anyone else to know that they still have them.