Sanitaria Springs Wiki

Guest Dabeagle

Guest Dabeagle

Below is the text I have as of this writing in the Sanitaria Wiki. As noted previously, it will take some time to have it reviewed and posted. I ask that you - author and reader - take a look and let me know if there is something I missed or suggestions for something to add. I thought a listing of couples might be handy, separate from the characters introduced. If you see something or wish to have me add something, please copy the text in question, paste it with your changes highlighted in this thread. Feel free to inbox me with questions or conversation.

Sanitaria Springs Associated Stories

This page is meant to serve as a reference for the Sanitaria Springs Associated Short Stories. All the stories can be found at the Awesomedude website.

History

The original short story Sanitaria Springs was written by Dabeagle and introduced the characters of Sasha Buchanan and Alec Kutsenko. The story centers around physical abuse in the locker room with respect to the attempt to exercise power with a veneer of homophobia. Underlying the overall story is the romance of Sasha and Alec, both Sophomores in high school. Alec is defined by his quick wit and makes use of it as he matures through the story.

The town of Sanitaria Springs exists, however the plot and characters are entirely fictional as are the vast majority of the structures.

Development

Several authors have contributed to the development of the town of Sanitaria Springs. After the original was posted the offer was made to others to come build their own characters and interact with the originals, and many have answered that call. The town is still open to new residents and offers many springboards in existing stories for the development of new characters and places. Public structures that have been noted: Columbia High and Middle School. Walt's Barber Shop. Cafe Perk Me Up. Gas Station, unnamed. Sanitarium ruins.

Rules

The rules are that of a gentleman's code. Make no major changes to existing plot lines or contradict same. For instance, do not break up an existing couple simply to advance your own story. If you wish to use another authors character in a substantive way, contact them to ensure they aren't writing something contradictory to the story you are developing, as a for instance. Dabeagle can be contacted for help in this regard.

Characters and Stories

This is a listing of characters introduced in each story and their relation to other characters.

Sanitaria Springs

The major characters introduced are Alec Kutsenko and Sasha Buchanan, who are a couple, both teens. Sasha is Romanian, adopted as a child. Bobby Buchanan is introduced as recurring character, brother to Sasha, adopted, teen. Billy Carlisle introduced as recurring character, teen. Tony, Valeria and Selma introduced as minor characters, teens; last names not included. Alec's father is named Douglas, mother unnamed.

Walt's

Written by Cole Parker

Introduced Walt, owner of Walt's Barbershop, adult. Introduced William 'Billy' Vernon, grandfather to Billy Carlisle (teen), adult. Introduced Tommy Parks, defensive backfield coach, Columbia High School, adult.

Rainbow's End

Written by Lugnutz

Establishes Alec's car as a rusted out Nissan Sentra.
Introduces Daniel(Dan)Boone Brownstone, adult. Dan is 5'8, brown hair and near 200lbs. Theodore (Ted) Kutsenko is 5'10, about 170lbs, uncle to Alec. Mike, convenience store manager, minor character.

The Art of Understanding

Written by Chris James
Press & Sun Bulletin established as local newspaper, not free.
Introduces Ernie Martin, teen, senior in high school, tennis player, short brown hair and green eyes. Introduces Art, adult, runs finance at Greater Binghamton Health. Roger, former housemate referenced, never seen, has a taste for teens, adult. Neil, minor character, professor - Art is former pupil. Introduced Charlie, minor character, never seen, in community college, plays golf.

Ripple Effect

Written by James Merkin
Introduced Edgar and Jeremy, father and son, adults. Uncle Andrew, brother to Edgar's unnamed wife, adult, partner to Charles.

Don't Ask Alec!

Written by Dabeagle
Introduces Salvatore (Sal) Zappala, called Zap, 8th grade. Travis Armstrong, couple with Zap, 8th grade, bi-sexual.

Along Came A Spider

Novella in 4 chapters, written by Colin Kelly
Introduces main characters Daniel (Dan) Covington, teen, has allergy, carries epi-pen. Mark Lanstrom, teen, father head of Binghamton Medical. Dan and Mark are a couple, 9th grade. Kaitlin Covington, sister to Dan. Paul Covington, father to Dan. Maria Langstrom, mother to Mark.Minor character Mrs. Barker, Biology teacher. Minor characters Kenny Lamper, Jeff Walland, Barry Metzger, Diane Lane teens. Ms. Lynch, Columbia HS Athletic Director. Lynda Farrell, student body president. Oscar, spider in Bio Lab. Principal Benson.

Meet the Parents

Written by Dabeagle
Alec and Sasha sophomores.
Introduced Sasha Buchanan's fathers, unnamed. Introduced Minor characters Mr. & Mrs. Buchanan, grandparents; Mr. & Mrs. Herb Wilson. April, minor character, girlfriend of Robert (Bobby) Buchanan, late teens.

Broken Hearted

Written by Ryan Bartlett
Introduced Kale Kirkwood, teen, Brothers Robin and Jamie, father Judge Andrew Kirkwood. Kirkwood males identified with black hair, blue eyes and pale skin. Introduced Chase Dudley, teen, boyfriend of Kale. Chase is blond, bright smile.

The Preacher's Kid

Written by Ryan Bartlett
Introduces Charlie Cooper, boyfriend to Robin Kirkwood. Introduced minor characters Marcia and Pastor Alan Miller, daughter Molly (4), foster parents to Charlie Cooper. Mr. Cooper, Charlie's bio dad.

Strays

Written by Cynus Introduced Damon Bryant, graduated high school, nineteen, bleached white hair tipped in red. Finn Turner, cousin to Damon, in Binghamton, fifteen, pink Mohawk. Billy Carlisle, not in school. Kyle Lamb, owner 'Cafe Perk Me Up', wife Sonya. Jerome, from reform school, inmate. Seth Mcallister, thirteen, attacked by Billy when he was twelve. Randall Maximus (Max) Derringer, blond, fifteen, boyfriend of Finn.

Alec's Best Friend

Introduced Lucien Rousseau, brown/blond hair, fair skin, red framed glasses. Minor characters Mr. David Kissick, principal, Mr.

The Hunting Accident

Written by Ryan Bartlett
No new characters. Comprised of Sasha, Alec, Kale and Chase.

Stories in Chronological Order

Sanitaria Springs (Alec and Sasha Sophomores)
Walt's
Rainbow's End
The Art of Understanding
Ripple Effect
Meet the Parents (Alec and Sasha Sophomores)
Don't Ask Alec! (Alec and Sasha Juniors)
Broken Hearted (Alec and Sasha Seniors)
The Preacher's Kid
Strays
Alec's Best Friend
The Hunting Accident

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dabeagle

Given the long lead time for Wikipedia, there is now a resource page up on my site for anyone to examine in terms of Sanitaria Springs timelines, characters, etc.

Should you find errors, please let me know! I ask all the authors look to ensure accuracy with their stories. I have more to add and some to adjust - it's a work in progress.

Each story has the author with a link back to their AD Author page. I plan to add more, as I say, but I hope this serves you well as a resource for joining or writing in Sanitaria Springs.

Wiki

Guest Dabeagle

I have updated the Wiki to add a link directly to the collections page. I think the author link, going to the authors pages here at AD is a win-win since people can see other things by that author. Does anyone else have an opinion?

• 2 weeks later...

Just for fun, I looked for the town on a map, and I'm sure it's barely big enough to have a barber shop or be worthy of a Greyhound stop, let alone have both a middle school and a high school (not to mention such a large gay population conga%5B1%5D.gif ).

I did notice, however, a fairly sizeable town not too far away name Kirkwood Center... Hmmmm. I guess now we know where the Kirkwood family came from, at least, even if the rest of population seems to be completely in the wind.

I 'googled' the town to try to get a feel for the kind of place I was trying to write about in my story since I have never been to that part of the U.S. . Street view showed some widely spaced houses, a church and IRRC a small store and not much else. The map showed a railroad and the junctions on I-88 and R-7.

Two of the first pictures turned up in the search were of the cemetery gates, hence the opening line. The pictures also showed the RR depot is closed.

I must admit I got a bit confused with the small size of the real place as turned up in my search and the size implied in the stories.

Guest Dabeagle

I think it stems from trying to keep a 'small town' feel, something that may actually be in the area. However I think we need some poetic license since none of the structures or people actually exist.

I think of Sanitaria Springs as it relates to my hometown, milford michigan. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford,_Michigan

Not a big village, has had it's ups and downs with industries coming and going, has a central business district - a downtown - some old mill ponds here and there, and lots and lots of people that all grew up together and have stuck around, so they know each other fairly well (it's facebook page has like 3,000 members, not bad since that's about half the population).

I guess what I'm saying is that I've kind of applied the template of Milford to a fictional town.

I think it is useful to pin down a location, at least regionally, to prevent some stories citing mild and balmy weather in the same month that another story depicts a blizzard. Or having characters within a day's drive to the beach versus another story set far from sea-level plants and critters. No need to labor this point, but let's all be somewhat consistent, and at least avoid the desert.