The Navigator by Cynus

I'm intrigued by the start of this novel - there is something different here from Cynus's usual style, though what that is I can't say exactly. It does though hint at a promise of an interesting story which I feel will take us to unexpected places. Certainly one I am going to follow.

You can find it here:

http://awesomedude.com/Cynus/the-navigator/index.htm

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! This first chapter packs a punch at the end that is totally unexpected. I can't wait for more.

Plus let me say how much I admire Cynus' skill at scene-building. The mini-story within the van just builds and builds and produces an outcome that is totally coherent, believable, and wistful. It is a beautiful piece of writing.

None of the above, actually. :) It's non-fantasy, non sci-fi, and not my normal fare. Thank you everyone for your kind words thus far.

I wouldn't think rubbing alcohol would burn hot enough to boil water.

R

I actually have one of those stoves made with a pop can and rubbing alcohol myself. It take awhile but it definitely works. :)

Edit: The rubbing alcohol must be at least 90% or higher.

Had to check what rubbing alcohol is - found out it is what we call surgical spirits. This has exactly the same calorific value as methylated spirits. For many years I carried a lightweight methylated spirit stove in the back of my car and boiled up quite a few kettles for tea in various lay by across Europe. As Cynus states, it takes time but you can do it.

So, did Silas actually know who he was going to run into in Crow's Lake, or was this one of the more amazing coincidences in modern history?

Or is that what "navigator" is all about, in some spooky sense?

R

Hopefully the coincidence factor doesn't take too much away from the story.

Hopefully the coincidence factor doesn't take too much away from the story.

I think it would be good for the characters, in some way, to at least acknowledge the coincidence, even if they can't explain it. Answers could lie in how Ian ended up in that town. Maybe comparable factors were at work in both cases. Maybe something about that diner served to draw both of them toward it. Or maybe Rod Serling is going to step out of a doorway at any moment.

Nobody seemed to question how Ilsa could have ended up in Rick's café (except Rick himself). But it was kind of a Mecca for lost souls and people passing through.

R

Meanwhile, reasons why both Silas and Ian were better off to hit the road:

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2009/01/05/680293/-Trapped-in-a-Mormon-Gulag

R

That was one of the most horrific things I have ever read. I grew up Mormon and certainly didn't have it this bad, and although I knew there was plenty of corruption in the church I would have never dreamed that it was this serious. I'm going to be reeling from this for a long time.

I think it would be good for the characters, in some way, to at least acknowledge the coincidence, even if they can't explain it. Answers could lie in how Ian ended up in that town. Maybe comparable factors were at work in both cases. Maybe something about that diner served to draw both of them toward it. Or maybe Rod Serling is going to step out of a doorway at any moment.

Nobody seemed to question how Ilsa could have ended up in Rick's café (except Rick himself). But it was kind of a Mecca for lost souls and people passing through.

R

I suppose we'll just have to see if it's addressed well enough in later chapters. :) The story is finished, and I don't intend to go back and change anything that I've already submitted to Mike, so whatever answers are written are the answers that will be received. I'm glad that people seem to be getting deep into the story though.

I'm just loving it. It is totally different from Cynus's normal writing and totally captivating, can't wait to see how it will all come together,