The Dance

Trab

In all the excitement over Dominoes, don't miss out on the other new chapters and stories. I just savoured ' The Dance ', by Bruin and loved it. Bits of it trigger wonderful, and not so wonderful, memories of my own youth.

The Dance is another truly wonderful tale of youthful adventures. As it contains the characters used in Another Dormitory Incident, it gives me hope there may be more of these lurking in Bruin's bountiful brain, and we might get to see them.

I think a book of them, perhaps 25 or 30, would be a tremendous gift for all of us.

Great work, Bruin.

And thank you!

C

Thanks guys - you're very kind!

I just savoured ' The Dance ', by Bruin and loved it. Bits of it trigger wonderful, and not so wonderful, memories of my own youth.

I wonder which bits??

I think a book of them, perhaps 25 or 30, would be a tremendous gift for all of us.

I've so far written... 3... so it shouldn't take long to put such a book together... ! Thanks for showing such confidence in me, Cole. I'll try my best but don't hold your breath.!

Yep, that's the word. Sweet.

Shucks, Oliver, I bet you say that to all the boys...

Seriously, I'm very pleased and flattered that you guys liked my story and took the trouble to say so.

Big hugs

Bruin

Shucks, Oliver, I bet you say that to all the boys...

:lol:

No way. I've got my standards. :hehe:

In this case it was absolutely the result of your writing.

The way you've set the atmosphere. How did Des call it? So vivid and accurate.

You really have a gift.

:icon11:

I loved this! It acted like a cattle prod to memories salted away in the deepest recesses. Bruin's School stories are simply wonderful, and this latest 'episode' is a worthy addition.

Cole said: I think a book of them, perhaps 25 or 30, would be a tremendous gift for all of us. I agree!

Camy

• 7 years later...

I'm so glad "The Dance" has come back around, along with Bruin's equally charming "Graffiti", as part of Dude's Picks this month. English boarding school stories abound but these by someone who has been there and done that are especially evocative, even for Yanks (who tend to green up with envy for some odd reason; I mean, after all, who wants to be caned?).

Er, what's become of "Another Dormatory Incident" Bruin?

Hi James and thank you so much. I think The Dance is one of my favourites.

Yes you've remembered very well - actually there used to be two more stories in my Boarding School series, making four all told. I withdrew them some years ago in a wave of anxiety about depicting underage sex. Not a considered decision or anything, just a knee-jerk reaction at the time!

I particularly like The Dance because in it I condensed a series of episodes that really took place during my time at school and added a gay plotline which tied them all together nicely. I really did attend just such a dance as the story tells, and was assaulted exactly as I described. Also I really did have a favourite dinner lady for whom I purchased red roses and she really did come and kiss me in the dining hall in front of everybody. There really was a tree that as far as I know no-one could climb but me, but sadly I didn't have a best friend with whom I discovered kissing.

Hey thanks Cole. Well, yes, these stories were cathartic to write, but it's quite a long time ago now, and I seem to have moved on. Recently I've been finding it hard to write anything at all but I may be able to come back to the boarding school theme.

I actually had a pretty bad time at school and when recently I got a phone call from the school asking for money I bluntly told them no, and why. The lady must have passed my comments on, because I then got a letter apologising for the school's failure for me, and assuring me that it does much better these days, and hoping that I would keep in touch, and visit to see for myself. It brought it all back somewhat - and maybe I once more need to write a story or two to get it out of my system!

Bruin, Camy: Wink, Wink.

My own ability to write more is hampered by trying to adjust to the slings and arrows of outrageous aging.

How easily the muse wanders into the seas of storms, where the greatest of thoughts wave frantically as they drown.

But I refuse to sink even though I never learned to swim. A beach of sunlit sandcastles awaits our dreams of stories as yet, untold.