Leaves & Lunatics by EleCivil

Leaves & Lunatics by EleCivil - one of Dude's most worthy Picks.

I adore this story! No matter how many times I've read it (obviously with a break in between, 'cause i'm not that deranged), Leaves & Lunatics always cheers up a miserable day, and always leaves (pun, geddit) me grinning.

I wish EleCivil would write more. Maybe, like the lottery, I'll get my wish one day. But until then, I'll be back... after Laika, of course.

Leaves & Lunatics

Laika

I guarantee you'll feel differently about mismatched socks.

Leaves and Lunatics is a great story, Laika is great, and I wish EleCivil would write another story.

EleCivil is indeed a gifted writer.

Were I a billionaire, I would give him a huge grant so that he could focus on writing rather than having to make a living.

Hey, thanks, all!

It kind of floors me that people are still reading something I started writing 7-8 years ago. And Laika is 4 years old. That means it's 29 years old in dog years (but a bit younger than that in space-dog years, what with relativistic speed and...aw, forget it).

I started writing something yesterday. It's the first time in a couple years that I've been able to sit down and just write. I've missed that. Maybe I'll get a couple chapters done by the end of the month and start sharing them. (Billionaire grants not necessary, but appreciated.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray! (does Snoopy dance) Elecivil's writing! I love everything you write but I haven't quite forgiven you for not finishing Leviathan Rusts which promised to be as good as anything you'd done before. Beggars can't be choosers, though, so if that's still on hold and there's a new story in the offing I'll love reading that too.

...I haven't quite forgiven you for not finishing Leviathan Rusts which promised to be as good as anything you'd done before. Beggars can't be choosers, though, so if that's still on hold and there's a new story in the offing I'll love reading that too.

Lev. Rusts is still on indefinite hiatus. I just wasn't feeling it. And to be honest, neither were most of the fans - most of the feedback I got was luke-warm at best. It just didn't feel right. I was writing it for the sake of writing something, not for the sake of telling a good story...and I can't work that way. If I don't love my own story, it's gonna suck. Now, yeah, there were parts of it that I loved, but it just couldn't mesh.

The current story I'm working on is more cohesive and focused than Lev. Rusts, and more interesting and fun for me. And the way I see it, if I'm having fun, the readers will have fun.

Guest Dabeagle

LR was a very quirky start, and I recall I liked it and was disappointed to see it had been posted initially so long ago. However I understand, too well, how the joy of writing something moves the story just as losing that joy kills it, even if temporarily. Look forward to your next work!

Guest Dabeagle

Okay, actually, I have two complaints about...make that three complaints about EleCivil.

1.) He writes slower than I do. I mean really, that takes some true talent because I can go for a long, long time. Luggie, don't say it.

2.) Laika. I started to re-read this story and partway though enjoying the hell out of it, I remembered it wasn't a happy ending. Now I'm torn because even though I love the characters and most of the story, unhappy endings I rarely look at again. I liken it to Brokeback Mountain - a great movie, I bought a copy to support it after having seen it in the theater, but I'll never watch it again. Cruel, cruel man.

3.) His writing makes me fat(ter). See when the writing is good, I can eat almost anything without a thought as to HOW MUCH of it I'm eating. I have found the only way to manage this is to buy an enormous bag of salad because I will probably eat the whole damn bag reading his work.

So to recap, he's slower than me, writes a brilliant but sad story that has left me in a quandary as to whether or not to read more (again) now that I remember it and he's contributing to my and thus the overall obesity problem in the US.

Okay, actually, I have two complaints about...make that three complaints about EleCivil.

1.) He writes slower than I do. I mean really, that takes some true talent because I can go for a long, long time. Luggie, don't say it.

2.) Laika. I started to re-read this story and partway though enjoying the hell out of it, I remembered it wasn't a happy ending. Now I'm torn because even though I love the characters and most of the story, unhappy endings I rarely look at again. I liken it to Brokeback Mountain - a great movie, I bought a copy to support it after having seen it in the theater, but I'll never watch it again. Cruel, cruel man.

3.) His writing makes me fat(ter). See when the writing is good, I can eat almost anything without a thought as to HOW MUCH of it I'm eating. I have found the only way to manage this is to buy an enormous bag of salad because I will probably eat the whole damn bag reading his work.

So to recap, he's slower than me, writes a brilliant but sad story that has left me in a quandary as to whether or not to read more (again) now that I remember it and he's contributing to my and thus the overall obesity problem in the US.

Where was it I read about the dad who got fed up with his bookworm son spending too much time indoors reading and never getting exercise? The dad took away all the paper books and hooked up an e-reader's power to a treadmill. So the kid needed to walk briskly or run in order to read for a set time each day. Worked brilliantly. I think you need one of those.

It might be possible that EleCivil is aware that you eat a lot whilst you read his splendiferous writing, and that is why he doesn't have a new story.

He's actually sitting in his room trying to come to terms with his muse demanding that he write, but his strong ethics tell him not to do anything which might add to America's obesity problem.

We need to reassure EleCivil, that the problem is not his if people consume more than just his beautifully crafted words.