The Lake Effect

Cynus

A brilliant edition to the Sanitaria Springs collection. I loved every moment, and what sweetness there was in this delightful tale. Give Merkin's latest a read, it's wonderful.

A delightful story and I hope we see more of Ray, and I hope that somehow Maurice can be heard of again. He is too much of a character to lose.

Thank you all for your warm remarks. I cannot predict if Ray will show up in another of these tales, but I can tell you that he is going to be very busy with his shovel over the coming weekend. Here is the latest weather report for the region surrounding Sanitaria Springs: http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/feet-of-snow-to-bury-western-upstate-new-york-this-weekend/ar-AA7Yc1C?ocid=mailsignout

With schools closed once again, Ray hopes he will have a chance to finish reading The Charioteer so he can include his critique in the letter he is penning to Maurice. Or maybe he will finally get up the nerve to give Andrew that call he has been postponing ever since the cute Library Page helped him find Mary Renault's books hidden away in the dusty town library...

I do so love these Sanitaria Springs stories and this one is just perfect. I've come across ultra camp boys before and how they can be an absolute whirlwind and a sheer delight. Maurice fit that bill to perfection. They are, more often than not, super bright, the total masters of the witty or put-down come-back, and simply amazing to observe in action.

That last line regarding Ray left me giggling as it tickled my imagination wonderfully.

Marvellous James...Rick

I could've used a whirlwind boy like that when i was that age. Definitely would have been a confidence booster.

At first, when the story mentioned the church association, I had thought we were going to be going back in time for a story about Charlie, and then Ray would end up meeting Robin by extension and get pulled into the Sanitaria Springs family.

As it is, hopefully Ray will be keeping his eyes open at school from now on: If he joins the swim team he has a good chance of still meeting Chase and Kale, and they will be sure to take care of him. Sounds like he already has a boy in mind at school, anyway.

I really like the opening of the story. We could all have been so lucky as to have a grandparent with so much time and attention to spend, and so much knowledge to share, especially since the grandfather was described and warm and compassionate.

Great story, Merkin!

Interesting...

A theme for a neat new story might be...

Maurice comes to SS to live with his Aunt for some stability and meets a military brat whose father was finally settling down after retiring.

Call it Rolling Stones Gathering Moss.

We could all have been so lucky as to have a grandparent with so much time and attention to spend, and so much knowledge to share, especially since the grandfather was described and warm and compassionate.

I found it interesting that Grandpa's learning and sophistication did not seem to have rubbed off on whichever of Ray's parents was his offsrping.

R