The Dance by Cole Parker

A charming story as we would expect. The word "anile" sent me to the dictionary, however, and I was perplexed by its use after reading the definition.

In any case, many thanks for sharing this.

R

Perhaps you're a little anule? lol

And me. It comes from the latin word ANUS which means Old Woman. WTF? Who knew?!

ROTFLMAO

Wordweb dictionary says: Of or like a feeble old woman

Which is why I was somewhat perplexed by the narrator's remark, when mentioning that kids at other schools showered after sports still wearing their underwear, that the kids at his own school weren't subject to such "anile prudery."

R

It is always a treat to watch what happens when Cole challenges himself, and us, with new themes, new characters. Dennis may never be as memorable to me as some of his other characters but, gosh, what a vocabulary that kid has!

'Anile' is the feminine compatriot of 'senile'. It means old-womanish. Old women tend to be prudish, and it can be in a Victorian sort of way, so wearing cover-ups in the shower is certainly anile behavior.

Jeez!

:angry:

C

PS - And why is the AD spellchecker telling me there is no such word? Anile is a perfectly normal, usual, ordinary five letter word. I hope Mike isn't paying much for the second rate spellchecker.

An excellent story from the master. I like the way he delved into Dennis's head and explored his feelings, his insecurities and fears, his embarrassment. Cole has a special empathy for young people and an understanding of their emotions that is rare.

I'm a terrible reader. I think nothing of scooting ahead to see where, what I'm reading is going. But with Cole's writing that would be a betrayal of all his time and effort to build suspense whilst advancing the story. So I suffer, quietly excited, reading as he intends us to do.

It comes as no surprise then, that at the culmination of the story, my reading bursts not so much into laughter, which happens anyway, but into a fulfilling moment of joy and satisfaction.

I wrote this story, as usual, for my younger readers. I had two or three messages I wanted them to see, to think about, to understand. I also worried that the points of the story I felt important might not be assimilated due to the constant drama playing out before the readers' eyes. I hope that isn't the case, and that on thinking of the story after it's been read, some of these will come to light.

We as writers have the responsibility of writing a good story that will capture the attention of the readers. We also try to say meaningful things. Sometimes those two objectives conflict.

C

Congratulations to Cole, I came across the word anile some years ago and always wanted to use it somewhere but never could find a fit for it. Now I find that not only has Cole managed to get it in with a perfect fit he has also managed to do it within a really great story.

I like the female characters in this story: Miss Cadburn (with the watchful, crotchful eyes), the blessedly meddlesome Amanda, Mrs. Marlowe (the art teacher).

Not to fall into pompousness or anything, but I think that one of Cole's great themes is that there is more generosity and kindness in the world than we realize. It's an endearing thread that runs through his work.

Gil