LAIKA by Elecivil

I read the rest of the chapter last night. Oh, wow. Beachball "Riots of Spring," (haha, now I picture some guy named Igor running around...) and several books I haven't heard of and one I have, (I must not be reading in enough subjects) plus good scenes for Mark, Corey, Nick, and Alex.

That bit with using RAM for bookmarks...just great. Heh, interesting question about bookmarks, too.

Corey's beachball prank, and Nick's realizing the irony that the teachers might ban balls in the gym, that's just great. A few of our high school assemblies nearly went off the rails too.

Hmm. We keep getting hints about the kind of guy Nick is, and sparks there. Big-time sparks from Brian this time. Not only is it clear that Nick isn't as hide-bound as his father, but it's also again clear he's controlled more than he lets on, at home.

Surely everybody picked up on the code words, "Someone's coming to pick me up," right? That could be totally normal, or it could be pretty awful.

I think EleCivil is deliberately keeping Nick's home life vague and ambiguous, to keep Nick a mystery and give the story some latitude.

And then there's Alex. In one chapter, we go from "Alex is really private about his personal life, even though he's very friendly," to the two opposite possibilities (I won't give away the spoilers). I'm guessing Alex isn't "slumming" to be trendy, edgy, or rebel, though. There's more to it.

Whoa, good cliffhanger. Short and tangy. That's the way one should be done: not overused in the story, and with a big impact that transforms the story and makes the reader think, guess...and eager for more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, i found this place through nifty, and i just wanted to say how much i enjoy this story! it's really funny. the part with the vegan boots got me cracking up.

and a good choise of music too. I was actually listening to "Post-hardcore anarch-emo with some heavy oi and crust influences" while reading!

Welcome, ubik!

Elecivil's stories are excellent and I, for one, are very pleased that they are here at AwesomeDude. I just need to find the time to keep up to date on them...

Hi, Ubik - glad to have you here.

New chapter's been sent. There's probably going to be a bit of a delay for the next one, though - I'm writing the next chapter of Comicality's "Lost in Shadow" round robin project (http://comicality.gayauthors.org/gfd/lost.html), so I'll be busy with that for a while.

New chapter's been sent. There's probably going to be a bit of a delay for the next one, though - I'm writing the next chapter of Comicality's "Lost in Shadow" round robin project (http://comicality.gayauthors.org/gfd/lost.html), so I'll be busy with that for a while.

I'm drooling with anticipation for the next chapter ... literally! :shock:

I tried reading GFD, but could never really get into it. I'll be sure to read your chapter, though. I'm very curious to see if your unique brand of humor transfers over to such a different kind of story. Should be very interesting!

*Hugz*

Buddha

I think he'd fit the tone of his chapter to the overall story's tone. But he just might sneak something interesting in. After all, a good monster flick needs to have wickedly funny moments too.

-----

Laika 10 - Hmm, so one problem is solved and another one presents itself. (I'm not going to spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.) But, heheh, I like the solution, it partially solves it and opens up possibilities for the rest of the story, and doesn't give something away.

I'll comment later, when more people have had a chance to read the chapter.

Just read Chapter 10, and, as usual, it didn't disappoint! :D EleCivil is definitely one of the best authors currently on the Net, IMO, and it's just too bad that he can't write/post faster! hehe

But, I must admit, the anticipation is all part of the enjoyment! :wink:

Anyway, WOOT! for Brandon! I'm glad that he's clear on his feelings for Alex now, and with Alex out of the picture (as far as a romantic interest goes, at least) ... that leaves the door open for my favorite preacher's son! :shock:

It's gonna be hard having to wait a while for Chapter 11, though ... *sigh*

*Hugz*

Buddha

• 1 month later...

Glad to see I haven't missed much. After a few weeks of being off-line, I was getting worried that I might be missing out on the latest and greatest chapters from Lakia. But, prithee, when shalt the next chapter be done? And coulds't thou e-mail thusly? Forsooth!

EleCivil was working on another writing project, and he'll be back with a new chapter ... sooner than later. ;)

Yep. That other project's done, by the way.

I went to ten hour long indie/twee-pop/cuddlecore/punk show the other day. One of the performers jumped off of the stage, ran into the crowd and hugged me. He had us all take our shoes off and throw them into a "shoe liberation pile" (exposing my mismatched socks), then layed down to start a random cuddle-pile in the middle of the dance floor. I juggled between sets for tips - I kept enough to buy an "I Love to Read" button from one of the Distro booths. After all of that, I'm really in the mood to write more of Laika, so expect the next chapter pretty soon.

• 1 month later...
Yep. That other project's done, by the way.

I went to ten hour long indie/twee-pop/cuddlecore/punk show the other day. One of the performers jumped off of the stage, ran into the crowd and hugged me. He had us all take our shoes off and throw them into a "shoe liberation pile" (exposing my mismatched socks), then layed down to start a random cuddle-pile in the middle of the dance floor. I juggled between sets for tips - I kept enough to buy an "I Love to Read" button from one of the Distro booths. After all of that, I'm really in the mood to write more of Laika, so expect the next chapter pretty soon.

...Damn! If I were that extroverted, I might pop. But I am glad there are people in the world like you. It adds a sort of balance to society. You social renegades make up for we social recluses.

• 3 weeks later...
Chapter 11 this week. Promise. F'real this time.

...pinky swear.

No hard feelings, EleCivic. I did what was necessary. And I will most certainly hold up my end of the bargain.

But if you want to keep that pinky?