Dictionary or Fictionary?

Some people know a lot of words and know exactly what they mean. (These people sometimes get beaten up after gym class.) Some people know a lot of words but don't quite know what they mean. And some people (bless their hearts) don't know many words at all. Which one are you?

Dictionary or Fictionary Quiz

Sharon actually posted this elsewhere, so I thought I'd copy it and post it.

I got 9 out of 10.

ugh. 9/10 :spank: was incorrect at abstruse, the only word which i had to take a guess.

The correct answer:

D The salesman began his pitch with a lot of abstruse technical jargon that his customers would never understand.

Your answer:

A I think you're being deliberately abstruse when you refuse to answer my questions.

Abstruse means difficult to understand.

But it rhymes with obtuse, which means dull-witted or slow to perceive something, so people sometimes mix them up.

I avoided D since I thought "obscure" was the correct word in the sentence, but meh. :sick:

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why, when I go to the link in the post, I get an MSN sign in rather than the test?

I think I'll just state that when I took the GRE, I got 99+ percentile on the vocab section and let that be my bragging rights. I missed 'propinquity,' but that was the only one.

cheers!

aj

The alternative answers were sometimes so funny that I nearly missed one or two because I was laughing. Thanks for the link...though the test was awfully short.

10/10

TR, who was never beaten up behind the gym because he wisely stayed behind the drama building when smoking or skipping class.

The alternative answers were sometimes so funny that I nearly missed one or two because I was laughing. Thanks for the link...though the test was awfully short.

I agree! Some of the alternate answers were SO funny! Like the ones for empathy -- I think Hallmark is missing something by not bringing out empathy cards. And how about infer -- I LOVE the line "they went to the graveyard to infer the body". And I'm sure a structure with abstruse angles would collapse, and probably without the assistance of an earthquake. Of course, there's poor Cecil, being declared clinically abstruse and doomed to an early grave. OMG, I think that was the funniest of them all! And it was sad to learn that most people throw away the tastiest part of the turkey. I'm going to email my mom and tell her to be sure to save the gamut from the Christmas turkey for me. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Colin :icon_geek: