If you were a superHERO, what kind of power would you have?

If you were an evolved superhero, with advanced genetic mutations and whatnot, what kind of power would you have?

Choose one:

Telekinesis

Induced Radioactivity

Technopathy

Rapid Cell Regeneration

Pyrokinesis

Invisibility

Flight

Dream Manipulation

Clairvoyance

Cryokinesis

Telepathy

Intuitive Aptitude

Enhanced Strength

Phasing

Empathic Mimicry

Persuasion

Enhanced Hearing

Space-Time Manipulation

Healing

Mental Manipulation

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it wasn't mentioned that we had to select how many, I took the liberty of interpreting in my own way and went ahead with more than one... :bunny:

So here--->

Mental Manipulation

Space-Time Manipulation

Enhanced Strength

Telepathy

Telekinesis

No question: FLIGHT

Actually I can already fly. It doesn't work like a bird, or an airoplane, or even like Superman. I think hard and I rise. More like Mary Poppins, I suppose.

Trouble is, so far I can only do it in my sleep....

Bruin

lol...I chose Telekinesis as in addition to making me fly, it gives me control over most of the objects around... ;)

Interesting. I thought that list was TR's gained powers, and not a list from which we were asked to choose. Oh well. I can't read between the line, so maybe that would be a super power I'd like to get.

Actually, thinking about it, I think I'd prefer to have the powers of Com Pewter, in the Piers Anthony books. The power to rewrite reality by typing it out and hitting "enter".

It's only a short list isn't it?

Where's the X-Ray vision? :wav:

And the plastic man elongation thingy? :cry:

I like rapid cell regeneration,

But I think you forgot the most important one all

-the chamaeleon-like powers of being anything (or anyone) you want, whenever you want.

Yes that's the one I would want. :bunny:

Of course being able to split into two versions of my handsome self would also be interesting for when no one else was available to ravish me with affection. :hug:

Oh and perhaps super-humility would be desirable. :lol:

Of course being able to split into two versions of my handsome self would also be interesting for when no one else was available to ravish me with affection.

Actually, that raises an interesting question. Has anyone else of you wondered if sex would be great with your own gay twin? Don't post any replies in the thread; I'm not trying to hijack it.

It's only a short list isn't it?

It's the powers shown so far on Heroes, I believe. Short a few, though, like shapeshifting, electrokinesis, and whatever that crazy-death-eye thing was.

Of course being able to split into two versions of my handsome self would also be interesting for when no one else was available to ravish me with affection.

You know, when you put it like that, it kinda invalidates "go screw yourself" as an insult.

But back on topic...

I'd go with Intuitive Aptitude. Practical enough for everyday use, and incredibly awesome while still being easy to hide. And not powerful enough to tempt me into a life of crime, like invisibility/mental manipulation/persuasion inevitably would. Yeah, I've got no illusions, there - I'd go supervillain. Not the world-destroying kind, but the "Man, that guy is incredibly obnoxious" kind. Manipulating everyone into thinking it was Friday when it was actually Tuesday. Persuading people to communicate only in song. Invisible-sneaking up on people and turning their hats backwards. Yeah, somebody'd end up assassinating me.

Space/Time Manipulation would be cool, too, but I just know I'd screw up the timeline by going back in time and stealing Washington's wig or something. Maybe time-freeze various military actions and replace everyone's weapons with flowers...and vibrators. I know it'd have possibly disastrous consequences, but I wouldn't be able to help myself.

Hey... TR said to choose one. Definitely telekinesis for me. Actually, if I could fight like Jet Li, I wouldn't need any superpower anymore.

Rad :icon8:

I'd go with Intuitive Aptitude. Practical enough for everyday use, and incredibly awesome while still being easy to hide.

Funny what gets you thinking, but this did it for me. All sorts of thoughts, too. The first one was probably, what sort of person would choose this item off that list? I mean, I get it when someone wants to be faster than a speeding bullet, leap buildings--hell, they can be tall or short for all that matters, they?re buildings, for God?s sake--in a single bound, and the being more powerful than a locomotive bit sounds neat and totally cool in that it defies the laws of physics, like it isn?t every day that my 160 pounds is going to stand on a railroad track, facing off against the ginormous size and lumbering tons of a locomotive and actually stop the mother, and doing that always sounded like a fun thing to do, even if it did make my wrists sore. So doing things like that, having the ability to do things like that, makes sense. Flying, seeing through things, being stronger than anyone else, and faster, too, being able to become invisible or hear a conversation being whispered four blocks away underground in the middle of a heavy metal concert, all that seems a given for a kid?s wish list. But Intuitive Aptitude? Give me a break here!

In the first place, I?m not even sure what that is. What it sounds like is some sort of super-sized intuition. So it?s kind of girly, right? Intuition, girly, yeah. But maybe what he?s thinking is, it?s some sort of advanced version of gaydar, and what gay kid wouldn?t like to have one of those, right out of the box?

But I still have to think, of that list, good gaydar might not be the preferred choice. Let?s think on it a sec.

Okay, so you?re in a bad part of town, it?s just a little after midnight, and you tell your friends you?ve had enough bar hopping for the night and just need to be alone. They?re thinking you?re depressed; you?re thinking jock itch and scratching. So you walk away into the fog. The only sounds you hear are the lapping of the cold ocean water against the docks two blocks away, a lonely foghorn stirring the hairs on the back of your neck, the occasional bark of a dog being territorial, and a drunk barfing in a doorway. You walk on and think there might be footsteps behind you. You look and see nothing. Still, your heart is beating a little faster.

You see a dark alley ahead and slip into it. I mean, why not? Doesn?t everyone walk alone into dark alleys late at night in the bad part of town? Well, you do, because, well, because you?re endowed with super powers. You have Intuitive Aptitude.

You?re well off the street now, back in the alley, and you see it dead ends into a solid brick wall. Around you are overflowing garbage cans, the litter of a tired and uncaring population, and the smell of urine, long since decanted. You turn to get out of the trap you?ve wandered into, and see three teens standing in your path. Ugly, brutish and cruel looking teens. One of them steps a half step forward and shoves you on the shoulder so you stumble backwards, and says, ?Hey, look what we get to fuck with tonight.?

Another says, ?Yeah, fuck with and then fuck up.?

The third cleverly ripostes, ?And then just fuck. I?m first. When we?re ready.?

Well, are you worried? Of course not. Because they don?t know of your powers. You stand in front of them acting like you?re calm, because of your superior powers and all, but somehow there?s a trickle of cold sweat etching its way down the back of your neck. You keep your cool as much as possible and activate your power, think while doing so that you know in advance what you?ll learn. Two of the guys will be frightened and won?t really want to be in any sort of scuffle. They?re only there so they can fit in with their friends. What they really want is to be home watching The Beaver on Nick-at-Night reruns; one of them actually has the hots for Barbara Billingsley. The third thug, the one who?s slightly in front of the others, well, he?s actually eager for this, but you?re sure your powers will tell you that he?s been beaten on by his drunken father, and you know, you just know, if you can make him see how sorry you are for his past problems, put your arm around his shoulders and tell him you?re there for him, he?ll warm up to you.

That?s what you?re pretty sure you?ll find when you do your scan. You press your left thigh with your left thumb while clicking your heels together and saying to yourself, ?there?s no place like home,? and suddenly you can read their thoughts. They come to you in a wave. You?re aghast. All three of them want to fuck you up, over, around and, well, that way, too.

So what are you thinking as they move in, and the first of them begins hitting you in the nose and the second one kicks you in the balls, solving your itching problem in the worst possibly way, then cuts away your belt with his blade? You?re thinking about that list, aren?t you? And thinking the more powerful than a speeding locomotive skill set might be more useful about now than Intuitive Aptitude.

Hmmm. Cole I think if you use your intuitive aptitude earlier you would know not to go into the dark alley. Hell I would know that and I have very little aptitude for anything except wanting to split into triplets now that you tell me there are three of them. If there were three of me we could at least take turns.

As for your enchanting piece above, I suggest you re-post it in the Flash Fiction section. I am scared to turn the lights out in the bedroom now.

:icon8:

I think the intuitive aptitude might even have stopped you from leaving your friends just after midnight. In fact, intuitive aptitude should make you leave it ON at all times. Good bit of flash fiction though. Really good.

I guess the challenge really is to be sure that the powers we have actually work for what we are doing. Even if our powers are ordinary, we should be aware of what we can do, or not do, and behave accordingly.

Heh, Cole - Intuitive Aptitude, in the Heroes-verse, is the ability to instantly understand complex systems, both mechanical and biological. Probably political/sociological, too, but that hasn't been shown yet, since the character with that particular power is a sociopath. Yes, being a nerd, I'd much rather have a brain-make-go-awesome power than an ass-kicking power. Because, really, I don't get into that many fights, so I might as well be able to make some money with my power. No dark alleys for me...unless I was carrying some Batman-esque home made science weapons or something.

That's really a second choice, though - it wasn't on the list, (presumable because it wasn't introduced until season two, and these are season one powers) but I'd have gone with Adoptive Muscle Memory (The ability to instantly be able to perfectly mimic any physical action once you've seen it).

I used to watch it. But I stopped, as a protest. In fact, I've stopped watching ALL shows which change their times to 61 minutes, 62 minutes, 58 minutes, etc. just to screw with our lives. I KNOW what they're doing, and that is to force you to stay on their channel for a couple of minutes, so that you don't switch to another network. Well, it doesn't work for this puppy. You can wear mismatched socks if you wish, but I'm REALLY hurting them where it counts: in the ratings. :icon_twisted:

Heh, Cole - Intuitive Aptitude, in the Heroes-verse, is the ability to instantly understand complex systems, both mechanical and biological. Probably political/sociological, too, but that hasn't been shown yet, since the character with that particular power is a sociopath.
]

Yeah, I figured my definition of Intuitive Aptitude might not be the correct one. But defining it like I did allowed me to create some whimsy, and that was fun, so I went with it.

When I was young, my favorite super hero was a nerdy sort of radio station boy news reporter named Billy Batson who screamed Shazam every time he got in trouble with the evil, and bald, Dr. Savannah, and was struck by a lightening bolt. I think they do these things with a little bit more sophistication today.

C

Yeah, I figured my definition of Intuitive Aptitude might not be the correct one. But defining it like I did allowed me to create some whimsy, and that was fun, so I went with it.

When I was young, my favorite super hero was a nerdy sort of radio station boy news reporter named Billy Batson who screamed Shazam every time he got in trouble with the evil, and bald, Dr. Savannah, and was struck by a lightening bolt. I think they do these things with a little bit more sophistication today.

C

Actually, Cole, you wrote something that should have been in the Flash Fiction topic. All it needs is a more complete first sentence, perhaps something like:

I saw that silly 'test' that you filled out in today's paper. One of the questions was 'What would you choose if you could have one Superhero-style power?' You checked 'Intuitive Aptitude' and I wondered why anyone would check that one.

Funny what gets you thinking...

Makes a pretty good story, IMO!

Colin :icon_twisted:

Actually, Cole, you wrote something that should have been in the Flash Fiction topic. All it needs is a more complete first sentence, perhaps something like:

I saw that silly 'test' that you filled out in today's paper. One of the questions was 'What would you choose if you could have one Superhero-style power?' You checked 'Intuitive Aptitude' and I wondered why anyone would check that one.

Funny what gets you thinking...

Makes a pretty good story, IMO!

Colin :icon_twisted:

Yes, post it in the Flash Fiction Topic, that is what I said ten posts ago, but no one even noticed that I said it.

Oh no, no one takes any notice of the stupid ape, he's just here to make the other animals look and feel good.

Not that I mind, I am used to being ignored. My friends always ignore me too, unless they want to feel good and even then it's just, "ugh, ugh oog, ugh, ugh, sorry I can't stay, got to get home before I am missed," leaving me with the remains of a beautiful friendship to clean up.

Of course, if two of my friends should turn up at the same time, then they talk about me as if I wasn't in the room. That always makes me feel loved, especially if they start ughing and ooging without even asking me if I mind, let alone if want to ugh and oog too. No, they just go straight ahead and peel their bananas and nibble on their peanuts while I wait for the first one to finish his oogging and leave, so I can get the opportunity to console the remaining friend. Then when he has gone I get to put the banana skins in the trash and vacuum up the peanut shells. At least I have done my duty and made them feel good.

So you see there is no need to worry about me.

I am not upset about being overlooked when I suggested the Flash Fiction.

After all I am used to my friends leaving me to flush their affection

:hehe: .