Sebastian by Cole Parker

Ah, I love the way Cole gives us such thoughtful words to read.

Sebastian is an engaging short story and ever mindful of the simple fears a child encounters while growing up. I would grant the author elephant status because it seems he remembers what happens in childhood even though it has been a while for him...and the rest of us.

Perhaps what I found so engaging is the little bit of misdirection his characters start off sharing. Boys are rarely honest when it comes to revealing the awkward truths of growing up. Trust is certainly the key to unlock that door behind which lies the painful memories we often hide, and only a true friendship allows that door to open.

Thank you, Cole, another feather in your cap which is already quite filled with plumage. Sorry about the elephant crack, but perhaps you like the creatures. Everyone go read this:

http://www.awesomedude.com/coleparker/Short_Stories/sebastian.htm

I get very little mail from kids. It doesn't mean they don't read them. I simply means I don't know about it. There are millions of gay teens out there. Many of them are on the internet. Many of them are intellectually capable of finding AD. So there's a chance that my target audience finds these. But I doubt I'll ever know.

As with most of us, there are autobiographical elements in probably all of my stories. My life certainly wasn't as dramatic as my stories, but some of the tenets developed in them are things I puzzled over as a youth. Universal truths affect us all. I think it might help some kids to have these pointed out vividly.

I sure wish I'd had a resource like AD when I was growing up.

Thanks guys, for your supportive remarks. I do appreciate.

C

• 4 weeks later...

As Sebastian was just reintroduced here, let me say, I've written another one.

One about Sebastian. But no, it's not a sequel. I don't write sequels. But I have written another Sebastian story that is now in the editing phase. It should be appearing at your favorite site soon. Depends on my lazy editors. Uh, wait... I didn't say that, did I?

I like this one. Hope you guys do, too. And especially you, Gwilym.pocock. Welcome aboard, indeed!

C

As Sebastian was just reintroduced here, let me say, I've written another one.

One about Sebastian. But no, it's not a sequel. I don't write sequels. But I have written another Sebastian story that is now in the editing phase. It should be appearing at your favorite site soon. Depends on my lazy editors. Uh, wait... I didn't say that, did I?

I like this one. Hope you guys do, too. And especially you, Gwilym.pocock. Welcome aboard, indeed!

C

You said it and you should be ashamed, ashamed I say! Just think about those poor, hard-working, underpaid, and certainly not lazy, editors. Uh, wait... they aren't underpaid. They are unpaid. Oh, woe are the poor, and certainly not lazy, unpaid editors! :aak[1]:

Colin :icon_geek:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

A quick note to readers:

The Sebastian trilogy now has its very own index page which in turn leads to the three stories.  It is right here and still has a special button on Cole's story page.

Because of the changes, however, links to these stories in old Forum messages are generally broken, because they lead to a different set of directories.  I have not spoken to John about whether we should put redirects in for those.  I don't think that is a normal policy here.

But -- getting back to this story trilogy -- I highly recommend it to those who have never read it, or have not done so recently.  It is quintessential Cole and will make you happy.

R