The Words Unsaid by Nigel Gordon

Buckle your seat belts—it looks like we’re in for a long and bumpy ride toward a destination that promises to be memorable. “The Words Unsaid” by Nigel Gordon starts today with a single chapter and it is soon apparent that this is grand scale writing well worth the reading. Already the characters evoke keen interest and a beginning commitment to learn their outcomes, and the story telling is clearly in the hands of a highly talented driver.

I didn’t know the E-type had an upgrade to make it “safe.” It always appeared to me to be a lovely death wish on wheels. Maybe I need to rethink hanging onto my Dodge Dart.

Find it here:
http://www.awesomedude.com/nigel_gordon/the-words-unsaid/index.htm

It certainly gripped me with the first paragraph and has maintained it's hold. I'll be none too patiently awaiting the subsequent chapters.

No mention of the Lucas electronics in it? Lucas is a joke world wide.

I think the Eagle upgrade includes all the electronics - basically you get a brand new car built inside the old body. Even the engine is completely stripped down and rebuilt using higher spec fittings.

The Eagle is over the top for me. I've not driven a E type, but the stopping ability of many cars of that era is let down by the suspension, and with that sorted, the next weakest link is often the rubber. The brakes are quite often ok in themselves, but are not up to repeated use and will fade. But if you use the speed of an E type, and get it flat out - and then plant the brakes, I think fade can set in before it has come to a halt!

Mind you, the E type holds the sort of record that would have the driver needing a change of underwear...

The longest skidmarks recorded on a public road were 290 m (950 ft) long and were left by a Jaguar car involved in an accident on the M1 near Luton, Bedfordshire, UK, on 30 June 1960. Evidence given in the subsequent High Court case Hurlock v. Inglis et al. indicated a speed "in excess of 100 mph before the application of the brakes".

From The Guinness Book of Records.

That though is by the by, the story is excellent and makes one impatient for the next instalment.

Mind you, the E type holds the sort of record that would have the driver needing a change of underwear...

The longest skidmarks recorded on a public road were 290 m (950 ft) long and were left by a Jaguar car involved in an accident on the M1 near Luton, Bedfordshire, UK, on 30 June 1960. Evidence given in the subsequent High Court case Hurlock v. Inglis et al. indicated a speed "in excess of 100 mph before the application of the brakes".

From The Guinness Book of Records.

That though is by the by, the story is excellent and makes one impatient for the next instalment.

​I think Nick that was a Mark II - The E-Type Series one did not go on sale till 1961. My friend Dr Hammet had a Jaguar Mk II in the early 60s and regularly used to do over 100 mph in it, which in those days was quite a high speed.

The story itself is off to a grim but fascinating start. The characters all 'feel' quite real, much the sort of chap one might know well. This should be exciting!

AWESOMEDUDE ALERT: Posting of Nigel's Gordon's serial novel The Words Unsaid has been interrupted for technical reasons.

As soon as these issues have been addressed and taken care of, the story will be back. This could be as soon as Wednesday, May 11th.

We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike

I'm hooked too. I do hope the 'technical reasons' get ironed out by Wednesday... I read first chapter and like I often do went back for a re-read to see if I 'got' all of it and there it wasn't. I thought my internet had gone down, but nothing so mundane as that.

Looking forward to more

Paul Jamison

I am glad to see that this has now started to be reposted. I have the advantage of having read it in full. Went round to see Nigel to ask him what the problem was and he allowed me to read the whole story. It is good and had me crying at the end.

What had Nigel crying was the number of emails he received about the 'technical issues' and stating that if he wanted to write material like that he should go to Nifty. The technical issue had nothing to do with his writing but concerned the fact that a copyright image had been used as a result of an honest error. As soon as John was made aware of this the image was taken down.

Things were not helped by the fact that Nigel's internet went down on the 5th of May and he had no internet access till yesterday. His only access to email was via his 3G Phablet which could only get a connection when he was in town.

That audience reaction appals me. While there are some worthwhile tales on Nifty, a heck of a lot of it is just accounts of mechanical sex with very second rate justifications. Anything worthwhile generally finds a much better home - like here.

• 1 month later...

I had a chance to read Words as Nigel was completing it. What impresses me about Nigel's works is that I can see his growth with each one. This one I love for its main character, a good man who can machinate against all the a**holes around him to the benefit of family members who are decent. The story reminds me that some debts must be repaid many times. Good show, Nigel.

I'll second that with a big YES. I doubt anyone can read this without being moved.

C

Finally got a chance to read this, after it was fully posted. I would have had a hard time waiting for the installments.

The only stumbling block for me was figuring out that Jonathan and Johnny were the same person.

I am struck by the range of emotional experiences that main character Mark had, from tragically low lows to soaringly high highs. And it is always gratifying when the lead character shows pluck and resourcefulness in dealing with challenges. But it wasn't necessarily because Mark was a one-man superhero figure; he had surrounded himself over the years with good people who came through when needed.

Anyway, a good story with grace and great sweep, where the decent people prevailed. Couldn't ask for better.

R

• 2 years later...

What do you know — I was apparently the last person to comment the last time this story was posted.  Now that it is a Pick from the Past I read it again, even though I remembered a number of things. 

One thing I had not remembered was Thomas’s kinship. That should have meant something to Johnny but clearly did not. 

Anyway, I was happy to read it again. 

R