Tim Comes Home

Dude!

I am so glad you brought this story here. I only had to beg. I would encourage everyone to read this amazing story. It's POWERFUL. I had mentioned it in an email to a few readers and also on my blog, and now here it is for you all to read.

And, please, write the author and tell him how AMAZING this work of art is.

-- wbms

It didn't take much begging, Wibby! Once I put aside a few moments to read the story, I was --like you-- hooked.

We were not sure that Nick had a version formatted so that it would easily be html convertible, and quicly postable. Therefore I didn't mention it in the October 3rd News & Views. Later in the day, however, he got me the original manuscript which was easily put into html and I went ahead and got it posted.

My feelings about and personal response to the message of this story will be in next weekend's Oct 10th News & Views.

Nick is a super nice chap --I could have guessed-- and we will be having first crack at his newest story now in serialization. Watch for it in a few days.

Thanks again, Wibby, for putting me on to this excellent story!

This story is so POWERFULL that once I started I couldn't put it down. It will make you laugh, make you cry your eyes out, rip your gut and heart straight out of your body - and it WILL MAKE YOU THINK and most of all - HOPEFULLY it will force you to take a look at who you are - past and present - and where you are going.

Take a chance - read it - do yourself a favor!!

bennie

This was a one-shot, all-at-once read for me. Incredibly heavy stuff. I started out kind of so-so about it, but as things picked up, I knew there was no way I could leave without seeing how it ended.

The story's well written and thought provoking. It's also a tough read in places, and some of the subject matter is difficult or controversial.

My only complaint is to wonder why it took so long for them to wonder about the coincidence of Tim's name. I would've thought they'd ask in case he was somehow related, if nothing else.

I'm quite impressed by the story and have been giving it some thought. If a story is good enough to make you really stop and think, that's quite an achievement. I'll check out his other story.

Hey Nick,

I share the sentiments of most of the readers posted here.

1. I got hooked once I started and finished the whole story in one sitting.

2. Couldn't understand why the two Tim didn't meet earlier.

3. Real difficult to read part where Young Tim / Ben came under the control of his bio. father.

Thanks for the great story.

Will be following your new story closely.

Ena

• 10 years later...

I was out for my afternoon one-hour bike ride to keep all the joints working rather than stiffening, hopefully at least, and so was late on the draw. For some reason, my screen didn't show any response to Chris's request till after I'd posted what I did. Odd.

I wouldn't want any grass mixed into my rutabagas either! Although, truthfully, I believe I've only eaten them one in my life, years ago. I thought I should at least try rutabagas and parsnips once. Once was enough for both.

I know some people like them. But then there are people who like lima beans, too. I shudder at the thought of that.

C

Lima beans are lovely!

Tim Comes Home for the record has been revived several times in the past and was a Dude's Pick last year. It is in the Archive of Dude's Picks, oddly enough under the Dude's Picks tab on the AD Home Page.

Oh and Chris... to find any story at AD... go to the Search tab on the AD Home Page and type in the title or author and it will be yours!

Mike

You just haven't tried lima beans this way, Cole:

Succotash

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • Coarse kosher salt
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  • 3 cups chopped red tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 2 1/4 cups corn kernels cut from 4 ears of corn (preferably 2 ears of white corn and 2 ears of yellow corn)
  • 2 cups fresh lima beans (from about 2 pounds pods) or 10 to 11 ounces frozen lima beans or baby butter beans, thawed
  • 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil

Preparation

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sprinkle with coarse salt. Sauté until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, and lima beans. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until corn and lima beans are tender and tomatoes are soft, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm before continuing.

Stir in basil and serve.

It's wonderful what you can learn here at AD. My apologies, Rutabaga, I never realised your name had a significance. The word is unknown in Britain. Here we call the vegetable Swede except in Scotland where it's a Neep. The Scottish national dish, Haggis, is traditionally served with 'neeps and tatties' - Swede and Potato.

No sense of adventure?

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, traditionally encased in the animal's stomach.

Need I say more?

Haggis is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver and lungs); minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, traditionally encased in the animal's stomach.

Need I say more?

Thank God I'm a vegetarian!