Knock-Knock

"Knock-Knock."

"Who's there?"

"Hardly anyone."

"Why?"

"I don't know. Do you?"

What I'm trying to say, with a bit (a very little bit) of humor is this: the number of posts to the AD forum seem to be declining. Does anyone have any thought about why this is happening? There are almost no real reviews of current stories. All there I see are the equivalent of Facebook "likes" being posted. Not that I suggest we become like GayAuthors, but take a look at some of the stories on that site. They solicit both story reviews and individual chapter reviews. We have connections included with most of the stories on AD (and CW) where we can post reviews and comments. Those don’t get much activity. Most of the posts don't have anything to do with the stories here or elsewhere or about the craft/art/whatever of writing.

I'm just asking what's going on. I sure don't want to see the AD/CW forums disappear through lack of use. What can we do about it? Or do others on this forum think that there's no problem?

Colin :icon_geek:

There could be a multitude of reasons. Sometimes weather can play a part depending upon ones part of the world. Work for some could be a factor. I've noticed the same thing happening at other sites and not just here. I'm here at least once a daily. When I was working, I was here at least twice daily.

​Hmm, I drop by the Forums every day. I don't respond to the subjects unless I find it interesting enough to make a statement.

Responding to story posts in the Reader's Rule forum is tricky. None of us want to spoil the story for readers which often leaves little enough to say except "Good Story." I won't hesitate to reveal what I think about older stories under discussion, but generally only after the author has responded to the posts.

I haven't put up anything new in a while, too many personal issues keep me from completing my work. All I can say is hopefully I will have a new story completed soon.

I hate to see the forum posts dwindling. I love being able to rub shoulders here with an exceptional group of men. Not that women aren't welcome; we just don't seem to attract many. Or any that I know of at this time since Tracy and Dorothy no longer appear to have anything to say.

But that's going off track. I like the wide variety of topics we discuss, the lively conversations we have. I admit to visiting here many more that one or two times a day, but then, I'm on my computer most of the day, writing, editing, emailing, whatever. It's so easy to jump over here and see if anyone has added a bit of wisdom.

So I too am very concerned that more and more there is less and less here. I haven't the foggiest why. I just hope it's one of those cyclical aberrations, and as it's now spring, ideas and thoughts will sprout up again after a short dormancy.

C

It's a cyclic thing. We've had this discussion before when the forums have gone quiet, though Colin's comments on lack of posting on stories is a valid one. In my case, I'm not getting a lot of reading done due to real-life commitments and I've developed the habit of preferring to wait for a story to be finished before starting to read it, which also constraints my ability to post about the stories as the chapters are published.

I like to acknowledge Picks from the Past when they appear, and occasionally mention other stories as well.

I am indifferent to the political posts in general -- much more interested in story discussions. But the spoiler issue is a constraint. I don't think it's an insurmountable one.

There are certain stories I will not comment on due to behind-the-scenes issues that have nothing to do with the author.

R

I was also thinking to myself that traffic on the forums, both here and on other sites I regularly visit, had dropped off , particularly since the turn of the year.

We had a discussion about a year back on another matter, in which a comment I made then might still be relevant now:-

"There are two other story sites that I regularly visit. One offers no forum for comment at all, and the other has forums for comment and general discussion. Although I watch the forums I am not normally moved to join in. Their discussions do not seem to be as wide ranging and are not as fast moving as AD. I suspect this has something to do with the number of regular contributors, which I estimate to be about five. I think there must be some sort of critical mass of regular contributors to engender lively and hopefully constructive

discussion. If something results in the forums becoming bland, contributors will desert and if that critical mass is lost, then the forums will become redundant. "

Are we in danger of losing that critical mass, are we contributors too busy with other things, or is it that we are not finding anything we feel is worthy of opening a discussion? Or maybe we have things worthy of discussion but realise that debate needs to be held on a far larger stage to have any effect in the real world?

I like the forums here, with the wide range of headings and in those headings, the topics discussed. There is usually someone with something interesting to say. I don't post much myself. Sometime because by the time I have put a cogent argument together someone more eloquent has beaten me to it. Offtimes because I don't have anything worth adding to the debate other than'me too', although 'me too' does have it's place.

As an aside: some decry postings wandering off topic. Personally I think it demonstrates that were are (usually) comfortable in each others company, like a group of friends chewing the fat while sharing a meal or a drink. As long as the main topic has substantially run it's course, I don't have a problem, unless I want to find that off topic piece again and can't remember where it was!

There might be another technical reason. I usually keep myself logged in via my browser but a few days ago I became logged out. What I then noticed was that all the forums were showing no activity. As a result I did not come in for a few days. I am sure that this is different from the way it used to work. Previously when I have been logged out I am sure the forums showed that there was unread material to be read. Has there been a change in the operation of IP.Board with the latest upgrade? I spoke to my friend Paul, who as he does not have a computer of his own always logs out of whatever system he is on, and he stated there had been no recent postings to forums showing.

Looking back I have seen that there has been a general drop off in postings to the forums since the last upgrade and server move. This might just be coincidence but could there be a technical issue here.

I have noticed decreased activity here; I've assumed that a large part of the reason for that is the reduced flow of new stories - and I haven't piped up and whinged about that because I share the blame for it. So here is my pledge:

I will write at least one new story and post it here. I will do that expeditiously, and as soon as I've discovered what that word means. I will undertake also to post comments on as many other authors' new stories as I possibly can, and will be grateful if others will comment (good or bad, but constructive) on my stories too.

I love AD and I love you guys, my fellow denizens. It is important to me that we don't become moribund. May that never happen.

I'd have to say that the quality and consistency of writing here is head and shoulders above the other sites I've looked at. Perhaps some of the lack of discussion is based on the fact that folks here already expect quality, so don't always comment on it, and would rather not dissuade a new writer, who doesn't quite (yet) meet those lofty standards, with criticisms. And I do respond fairly often to writers via email, so I hope I'm not the only one.

At one point I thought it might get old saying, "What a great story!" and "What a wonderful story!" and "What a heartwarming story!", but I checked synonyms.com and discovered 7 pages of similar words. Perhaps I'll set up a Mad-libs-ish database and post via a random generator. Nah. I'd spend too much time on the programming and not enough on the reading.

Several commenters have mentioned the reluctance to discuss stories in public when others haven't read them yet, particularly when there are fiendishly fun plot twists. I appreciate their reticence. So those who don't shout out "I can't believe it was the butler!" have my undying thanks.

Almost as much as the writers who contribute so much of their time and talent to provide us all with some thoughtful, fun, enriching, [insert 7 pages of synonymic accolades here] entertainment.

It seems to be happening everywhere, so whatever it is, it's universal.

I imagine it has more to do with the time of year than anything else. At least for the US based users, the winter funk seems to get a lot of people from January thru March. It got to me this year, which is why I'm scrambling to get my next novel done by the time From The Cup of The Worthless finishes posting, because even though I ended up way ahead, I'm now barely on track.

With any luck, we'll see things pick up now that we're in spring.

There is also an issue that many readers under thirty will be more used to expressing their views about something on Twitter or Facebook. Maybe AD should have a presence on both!!

I like the forums here, with the wide range of headings and in those headings, the topics discussed. There is usually someone with something interesting to say. I don't post much myself. Sometime because by the time I have put a cogent argument together someone more eloquent has beaten me to it. Offtimes because I don't have anything worth adding to the debate other than'me too', although 'me too' does have it's place.

As an aside: some decry postings wandering off topic. Personally I think it demonstrates that were are (usually) comfortable in each others company, like a group of friends chewing the fat while sharing a meal or a drink. As long as the main topic has substantially run it's course, I don't have a problem, unless I want to find that off topic piece again and can't remember where it was!

I agree... Whoops, that's a me too, too. And in forums, unless I have something to really add, I tend to keep quiet.

There is also an issue that many readers under thirty will be more used to expressing their views about something on Twitter or Facebook. Maybe AD should have a presence on both!!

Am I taking that as an offer to moderate both those social media discussions, Nigel?

Am I taking that as an offer to moderate both those social media discussions, Nigel?

Mike, I will look into what it is possible to do but I am not sure that you can actually moderate a Facebook or Twitter presence. Have a lot going on this weekend but will try to give you an answer by next weekend.

Mike, I will look into what it is possible to do but I am not sure that you can actually moderate a Facebook or Twitter presence. Have a lot going on this weekend but will try to give you an answer by next weekend.

Facebook is a hassle. Twitter is easy, but the 140 character limitation complicates posts. For CW I include a separate post for each story when it's posted. Even then, 140 characters means some editing is needed. Also, I always post the link to the CW home page, not to where each story is located.

Go to @codeysworld.

One thing that's weird: There's a blue Twitter button cw-twitter-button.jpg near the top of the CW homepage. It is displayed as a button in IE, Chrome, Edge, and Safari. It is displayed as the text only instead of the button Follow @CodeysWorld in Firefox and Opera. I have no idea why; I'm using the latest version of each browser.

Button is a button here on the desk PC which uses Firefox. It is however on Vista if that makes any difference.

My Windows 7 PC running FIrefox shows the Twitter button as a blue box as shown above.

R

I'm using Opera 36.0.2130.65 - "Opera is up to date." I'm using Firefox 45.0.2 "Firefox is up to date." I'm using Windows 10 Pro version 1511 OS Build 10586.218. Those are all the latest versions. Whatever.

I'm on Firefox 45.0.2.

It might be that if you clear your browser cache you'll get the blue Twitter box back.

R

I already clear the Firefox cache but I made sure every option was checked (they were). I went into Opera and cleared the cache and closed and restarted Outlook. In both cases the blue icon still isn't displayed. Since it works for others, I'm not going to worry about it. Even if someone uses a browser the doesn't display the blue button they still get the Twitter text.

If there's someone with Windows 10, if you can open the Codey's World site using Firefox and/or Opera and see if the blue Twitter button is displayed or just the text, and let me know here in the forum, that would be great and a big thanks for doing it.

Here's the Twitter code, including the JavaScript.

<h3><a href="https://twitter.com/CodeysWorld" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false" data-size="large">Follow @CodeysWorld</a>
<script type="text/javascript">!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>
</h3>

I don't see anything wrong with it; and it works with IE11, Edge, Chrome, and Safari. Since the button itself if being downloaded from the twitter site (src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';) that might be the cause of the problem. Why it might be the cause of the problem with only two browsers I can't resolve.