Info

On 11/6/2022 at 11:21 AM, Camy said:

Ours did it's thing at 2am on the 31st - which gave me an extra hour of snoozing. Thankfully most 'devices' update themselves, except the microwave.

Everyone knows that microwaves aren't real Camy...crazy bird

Unlike you guys who are way ahead of me, I had to change every clock and appliance in the house by hand.  Amazing how many there are, and how some are nigh on inaccessible. 

My body is also having more trouble dealing with this hour change.  The worst, however, is the dog.  He insists we're an hour late feeding him.

17 hours ago, TalonRider said:

Strangely enough, I forgot to change the time in the Wrangler. I went to do it yesterday when I realized it. Low and behold, it had changed the time itself. First vehicle I've had do it.

I own a Jeep Compass and the clock did not change itself. And its a 2020, so its not an old one. 

Go Jeeps!!!!

I have five wall clocks in different rooms, all the identical model from La Crosse Technologies.  They are supposed to synchronize themselves automatically with the National Bureau of Standards time code broadcast, and to switch to standard from daylight time (and vice versa) automatically.  Only one of the five actually does that.  The other four require manual resetting, and their time display drifts.  Obviously the claimed synchronization with WWV is not happening.  I would have been better off with plain vanilla clocks that are easier to set and that inherently keep better time.

R

9 hours ago, TalonRider said:

Makes me wonder if it was Sirius XM that made the change. I decided to subscribe to it this time after the free trial.

I won a free trail when I ordered 4K worth of kitchens supplies for my new restaurant. I only really listened to Old Time Radio Channel. After my free three months, I cancelled it. I only live ten minutes walking from my work and realized I was never in the car long enough to warrant paying for the service, But I do miss those old radio shows.  

On 11/11/2022 at 4:43 PM, Rutabaga said:

I have five wall clocks in different rooms, all the identical model from La Crosse Technologies.  They are supposed to synchronize themselves automatically with the National Bureau of Standards time code broadcast, and to switch to standard from daylight time (and vice versa) automatically.  Only one of the five actually does that.  The other four require manual resetting, and their time display drifts.  Obviously the claimed synchronization with WWV is not happening.  I would have been better off with plain vanilla clocks that are easier to set and that inherently keep better time.

My clocks are not all the same but I have a similar problem, though with the UK time code broadcast, which is transmitted from about 30 miles away. Found out that because of the reinforcing bars in the concrete beams of my house, the radio signal was being blocked. Strangely enough, although one of the clocks fails to pick up the UK signal, it does pick up the German one, which originates 600 miles away. My friend who is a retired professor of physics informs me that the rebar in the beam behind that clock are reflecting the German signal back onto the clock, rather than blocking them. This results in an amplification of the signal strength.

In the olden days (when I had hair, politicians were honest, and nobody thought human activity could change the climate) I was used to running around the house early in the morning twice a year changing the time on all the clocks. I'm very glad I don't have to do that any more - one tech advance that's actually made my life better. But now I'm caught out by the one or two clocks that don't adjust themselves. I can never remember which they are, and then I'm liable to trust them when I shouldn't.

On a related subject, many of us have given up wearing a watch because we carry a cellphone around with us. Modern cellphones are wonderful tools, and can help with so many things we can use them for. But the one thing they're really not very good at doing is making phone calls! Time was (see above) that a telephone was a bakelite device that sat on a hall stand or table somewhere, plugged into a wall socket. It worked, totally reliably (even in a power cut). Sometimes the audio was a bit crackly but it worked. Forty years later and we're reduced to hanging out of a window trying to get a signal, calling back when the line drops etc. It's a source of immense frustration and is NOT making my life better. Why do we put up with it?

Does anyone remember back when—really way, way back —when telephones were a relatively new item and still not in every home, and when many of us had party lines; private lines weren't available yet?  I do.  We had a phone that when you picked it up off the cradle, there would often be someone else, some stranger, talking to another stranger.  You could listen to them, or hang back up and wait till the line was free if you wanted to call someone; that call, of course, could be listened to by others as well.  I can't be the only one here who can remember that.

I can remember that time. Although we never had a party line. We didn't have a phone at all until we moved out, abroad, for a few years and rented out our house to the local doctor - who had a phone installed for when he was 'on call'. The number was 2025 and the doctor's surgery was 2026. The local mental hospital was 2028. When we returned and took up residence in our house once more, we had a telephone - the first home in the street with one I think. We got occasional wrong number calls from people trying to get hold of the doctor, or the mental hospital.

When I was little my family would visit friends who lived in rural New Jersey.  Their phones had no dial -- when you picked up the handset, an operator would say, "number please," and you needed to say it.  And the phone numbers on that exchange had only 3 digits.  

R

When we took on the local pub 35 yrs ago, although the local exchange was automatic, all the numbers were three digit. The doctors was an easy to remember 222. After a few years a three digit prefix was added, and the long distance code changed - twice. I still live in the same area and remember all my friends  and neighbours numbers by the original three significant digits. I get caught out by those newer residents with numbers where the prefix is slightly different. 

5 hours ago, Rutabaga said:

And the phone numbers on that exchange had only 3 digits.

Until I was in my teens the tiny town where I grew up had a manual exchange. The numbers must have been allocated in chronological order, because our number was 12 and I knew at least two families who had single-digit numbers. To make a call you turned a handle on the phone, then picked up the receiver and when the telephonist answered, asked them to connect you to the number you wanted. I knew of party lines but I don't think anybody we knew had one.

It wasn't until I was about 15 that our exchange went automatic and then we had five-digit numbers and dial phones.

I, too, am a member of the three-digit phone number club.  We called them 'crank-and-holler' phones.  It was a party line, with at least four or six homes hooked up to a common feed, and that meant you could listen in on conversations among your neighbors--and they could listen in on yours.  That was the way small villages kept abreast of ongoing scandal and local news.  It was not uncommon, upon hearing the village fire siren, for everyone to rush to their phones to ask the operator where the fire was; she usually had the answer and kept everyone posted on the progress of the response.  If your kids were late for dinner a twirl of the crank made the phone bell tinkle and you could ask your neighborhood to keep an eye out for your child.  I think the party line telephone was the basis for 'it takes a village to raise a child'.